Rod Suggestions for a Torsa 40?

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by sabikislinger, Mar 2, 2009.

1. sabikislinger

sabikislinger Guest

New to the forum, been reading on here for a while now. Lots of good information floating around.

Recently purchased a Shimano Torsa 40, and I'm highly impressed. I've been looking for jigging rods to match it to and have some questions. I originally paired it with Shimano's TFC58XXH Trevala, and it was nice until it broke under the strain of the Torsa's max drag (51 lbs. max drag)! Needless to say, not very impressed with it, other than the overall weight. I looked at some of the OTI Jigging Rods, but some of them stated anywhere from 20-30 lbs max drag. I mostly bottom fish and jig occaisonally. Any suggestions on what rod would be the best match would be appreciated. Looking to spend $200-$400, maybe a little over if it's worth it.

2. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

How many pound of drag are you planning to use?

3. sabikislinger

sabikislinger Guest

I normally keep just above strike, about 28-30 lbs. I've only had to go to full drag twice. Broke the rod the first time, and the second was a nice gag.

4. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

get a stand up rod like Calstar 6465XXH, Seeker Ctfs55xxh will be best for heavy bottom fishing, in my opinion.

30lb is a lot of drag for most people, my self included.
    80lb line with 30lb of drag will break the line of the initial run, especially you hook up to a powerful species that like to run. JMO.

100 to 130lb line will be more suitable.

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

did you set your drag at strike with a scale?

6. sabikislinger

sabikislinger Guest

I've already got a Calstar Graphiter, very nice. I just want something extremely light, but with backbone, and won't give when I turn the heat up. Obviously, when targeting other fish (non bottom dwellers), the drag cam is swapped out for much lighter drag settings. I'm just really attracted to the lightweight rods with lots of backbone.

7. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

8. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

You know, I just remembered I bought a Torsa 40 about five weeks ago at a super bottom feeding price. I just spent over two hours trying to find it in my usual places. It's nowhere to be found. We've been doing some remodeling at the house and my wife has been boxing up all sorts of stuff. I had to add a plywood sub-floor in the attic for all the stuff. I bought 100 HD cardboard boxes 18x18x12". There are only 14 boxes left.

Somewhere upstairs in the mix of boxes lies the Torsa 40 along with God know what else I've bought and never seen in the last six weeks. No way I'm going up there and spending a whole day hunting through all those boxes. I guess after I die, and then my wife dies, some blood sucking relative will have a great treasure hunt. She told me she tossed all the stuff she thought was junk in the dumpster. Her idea of junk is different than mine. God knows what I've lost recently.:mad:

Oh, I forgot, Minnows recommendation would be a good choice for the torsa 40.

9. sabikislinger

sabikislinger Guest

I appreciate all the info everyone. But settling for a rod that can only handle 25 of max drag isn't going to do it for me. That's why I got the Torsa, because the drag is insane! I understand for tuna, wahoo, and other pelagics 25 lbs is plenty, if not too much, but not in 100 ft for grouper. At least not in my area. Looks like I might have to put a pool cue on it. Thanks again for the info...

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

do you use a scale to measure the drag?

11. sabikislinger

sabikislinger Guest

Yes, but haven't gone over 33lbs yet. Just a few clicks above strike. I'm scared to break another rod.