Rod recommendation???

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by straycatboat, Apr 28, 2009.

1. straycatboat

straycatboat Member

Can anyone recommend a rod to use with my accurate Boss-80lb spectra.
    I presently have a shimano xxh 80-200 and have problems with theline cutting thru the foregrip when trying to pull large grouper, amberjack from structure.
    This rod does not have enough backbone for this kind of pressure, action too slow?

I am not specifically using this rod for jigging, but like the light weight and lenght of the shimano rod.

Rick

2. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Real soon the OTI 400 gr rod will be available and it is the cats meow.

3. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

How much do you want to spend? There are some good options for $150 and up.

Hoppers and Seamagic dragonly for around $160

OTI for $270

$300+ Other high end stuff that someone else will have to help you with.

You will want something between 300-600grams. Most foks prefer 400-500grams.

I have the 5'8" 500g hopper and I love it.

4. mike garone

mike garone Well-Known Member

The Trevala rods are extremely overrated. I have heard good things about the OTI and there are many other great choices out there.

I am building a new XL lite jigger right now (seeker blank) and that would be a great rod with plenty of power to yank on those big grouper, amberjacks and tuna.

5. rparham82

rparham82 Member

I've got a 400g Seamagic dragonfly for sale if you want to go that route.

6. straycatboat

straycatboat Member

How does the gram measurement relate to line size or fish size. Do any of these rods have the same tendency to allow the line to cut into the foregrip when fighting large fish?
    Rick

7. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Gram rating is for lure weight.

With 30lb of weight attached, OTI-3101-56C (conventional) line would not touch the fore grip.

All OTI rod if use withing the recommended rating, line should not touch the fore grip.

8. mike garone

mike garone Well-Known Member

The trevala is the only one of these rods I have seen bend so the line touches the foregrip

9. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

Its also poor guide placement on the trevalas. the line has to travel to far from the reel to the first guide. that is another reason the line cuts the fore grip. All oti rods ive used are top notch. the 300gr oti has more backbone than the xxh trevala. scary!

10. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Its also poor guide placement on the trevalas. the line has to travel to far from the reel to the first guide. that is another reason the line cuts the fore grip. All oti rods ive used are top notch. the 300gr oti has more backbone than the xxh trevala. scary!

you could prob bend 2 xxh trevala at same time and still not get same amount of power from one oti 300g

11. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

rtran, that is some statement! I think we can seriously say that OTI's ratings are a bit understated. I bent the 300g OTI and it has a tad less backbone than the smith wgj... However,

they are two different rods for sure. :)

12. cabosandinh

cabosandinh Moderator

if you don't want to spend too much money I think St. Croix
    Saltwater Premier series are great bang for the bucks

you can't go wrong with OTI or JM , and they're pretty good
    looking rods

13. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

You definately cannot beat the level of customer service that OTI provides!

Their rods are IMHO the best value on the market.

14. straycatboat

straycatboat Member

rparham82,
    How much do you want for that rod ?. Could you give me the specs on it also?

15. rparham82

rparham82 Member

rparham82,
    How much do you want for that rod ?. Could you give me the specs on it also?

Asking 145.00 for the rod but I've got a pending deal on both the rod and reel. If it falls apart I'll let you know. They sell for 190 at islander tackle.