Rod Recommendation

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by SteelingHeads, Oct 6, 2008.

1. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I originally posted this in Inshore, I'll post it here too. I need some advice from you Fella's. I am, trying to pick out a jigging rod to pair with either a Trinidad 40 or a Penn Torque 300. The reel will be spooled with 80 lb. Spectra and used for jigging school Bluefin Tuna. I am looking for a 6'6" rod (preferrably). Most of my jigging will be done in 90 - 150 ft. of water using 3 - 7 oz. jigs. I know about the Shimano Trevala and Penn Torque Rods, but I want more information on what else is out there. Thanks in advance guys!

SH

2. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Definitely check out the OTI jigging rods.

360Tackle

3. SteelingHeads

I did see the OTI's, but I don't see a model in the 6'6" length in a casting style rod. They look like a nice rod though....

4. Mitchw123456

Mitchw123456 Senior Member

700h if you plan on fishin 20# or less drag or the 700XH for 20+

5. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

If it has to be 6'6", I'd recommend the Cosmotech CT661TUNA-P KVG. It's a Composite / Kevlar blank specifically for tuna jigging. It's only available as a blank, but it makes a great rod. I fish mine w/ an Alutecnos Gorilla 12.

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I originally posted this in Inshore, I'll post it here too. I need some advice from you Fella's. I am, trying to pick out a jigging rod to pair with either a Trinidad 40 or a Penn Torque 300. The reel will be spooled with 80 lb. Spectra and used for jigging school Bluefin Tuna. I am looking for a 6'6" rod (preferrably). Most of my jigging will be done in 90 - 150 ft. of water using 3 - 7 oz. jigs. I know about the Shimano Trevala and Penn Torque Rods, but I want more information on what else is out there. Thanks in advance guys!

SH
    Call Billy40. He has lots of GUSA blanks which fit your need.
    Do you have any special reason why you prefer 6'6" rod ?
    I'd rather use shorter rod or longer rod.

7. SteelingHeads

Thank you for the input Gents. I prefer a longer blank as I feel I have better control of the fish. I am used to 8 foot jig blanks, but thats for a different kind of fishing than this. I will be looking into all of your recommendations! Thanks!