360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice from you Fella's. I am, trying to pick out a jigging rod to pair with either a Trinidad 40 or a Penn Torque 300. The reel will be spooled with 80 lb. Spectra and used for jigging school Bluefin Tuna. I am looking for a 6'6" rod (preferrably). Most of my jigging will be done in 90 - 150 ft. of water using 3 - 7 oz. jigs. I know about the Shimano Trevala and Penn Torque Rods, but I want more information on what else is out there. Thanks in advance guys!

SH

·
27 Posts
I need some advice from you Fella's. I am, trying to pick out a jigging rod to pair with either a Trinidad 40 or a Penn Torque 300. The reel will be spooled with 80 lb. Spectra and used for jigging school Bluefin Tuna. I am looking for a 6'6" rod (preferrably). Most of my jigging will be done in 90 - 150 ft. of water using 3 - 7 oz. jigs. I know about the Shimano Trevala and Penn Torque Rods, but I want more information on what else is out there. Thanks in advance guys!

SH

I know you know about the Penn Torque rods, but they have my vote :)

·
57 Posts
Options are the type of rod you already know about (you can throw Star rods into the same ring), or a custom rod.

I bought a custom rod from Kevin Bogan. It is heavier and longer than the rods that you are already looking at but I love the feel.

Here is a friend of mine using the rod (this one is 7', 6" long) battling a 130 BFT.

Good luck.

Peter

·
1,366 Posts
The 600g Hopper Jigging Rod is a very good rod for the money. Thats what I used yesterday on my Tuna trip. And it held up very well and had plenty of backbone and was able to easily control the Tuna I caught.

Ty

·
1,366 Posts
Thank you again guys. The Hopper looks like a nice rod.

Also check out the OTI rods.
I have the 600g OTI conventional Jigging rod and its a great rod.

Be sure to post which rod you decided to go with.

For the most bang for the buck:
OTI Jigging Rod
Hopper Jigging Rod (600g or 500g).

Ty

·
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The OTI's do look like a very nice rod as well. They do not have a 6'6" conventional jigging rod though. I will probably invest in one of their Popping Rods in time. I have decided to build since I have the time now over the winter. I have chosen a GUSA BSW65XH blank. I debated between this blank and a Phenix, but the GUSA's have been good to me in the past....not to mention, you might not be able to get GUSA's much longer. I would like to thank everyone for their input on this one.

·
1,025 Posts
THe GUSA PURJ 603 is a real nice blank with max drag about 28 pounds. I will try to post pics of it loaded. The blank is around $100 from Billy40. He can build it for you if desired. It has a composite tip which gives it some decent tip action for a rod with this amount of backbone. It is 6 foot long, so it is a little shorter than what you seem to prefer.

·
1,025 Posts
The OTI's do look like a very nice rod as well. They do not have a 6'6" conventional jigging rod though. I will probably invest in one of their Popping Rods in time. I have decided to build since I have the time now over the winter. I have chosen a GUSA BSW65XH blank. I debated between this blank and a Phenix, but the GUSA's have been good to me in the past....not to mention, you might not be able to get GUSA's much longer. I would like to thank everyone for their input on this one.

I certainly hope GUSA can get back in business. They make some great blanks.

·
2,024 Posts
Bar Bar tackle on ebay is making some 6'6" jiggin rods out of Super Seeker blanks. - just another option if you are looking for the longer style jiggin rod.

·
1,025 Posts
Bar Bar tackle on ebay is making some 6'6" jiggin rods out of Super Seeker blanks. - just another option if you are looking for the longer style jiggin rod.

I guess I am not the only one with the superSeeker jigging rod idea. They are a little heavier and much thicker than the "standard" jigging blank, but I bet otherwise the SSs will perform great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts