Rod Recommendation

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by SteelingHeads, Oct 6, 2008.

1. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

I need some advice from you Fella's. I am, trying to pick out a jigging rod to pair with either a Trinidad 40 or a Penn Torque 300. The reel will be spooled with 80 lb. Spectra and used for jigging school Bluefin Tuna. I am looking for a 6'6" rod (preferrably). Most of my jigging will be done in 90 - 150 ft. of water using 3 - 7 oz. jigs. I know about the Shimano Trevala and Penn Torque Rods, but I want more information on what else is out there. Thanks in advance guys!

SH

2. flyerphan13

flyerphan13 Junior member

I need some advice from you Fella's. I am, trying to pick out a jigging rod to pair with either a Trinidad 40 or a Penn Torque 300. The reel will be spooled with 80 lb. Spectra and used for jigging school Bluefin Tuna. I am looking for a 6'6" rod (preferrably). Most of my jigging will be done in 90 - 150 ft. of water using 3 - 7 oz. jigs. I know about the Shimano Trevala and Penn Torque Rods, but I want more information on what else is out there. Thanks in advance guys!

SH

I know you know about the Penn Torque rods, but they have my vote :)

3. SteelingHeads

Thanks Flyer! I also like them....just want to know what my options are.

4. peterb

peterb Member

Options are the type of rod you already know about (you can throw Star rods into the same ring), or a custom rod.

I bought a custom rod from Kevin Bogan. It is heavier and longer than the rods that you are already looking at but I love the feel.

Here is a friend of mine using the rod (this one is 7', 6" long) battling a 130 BFT.

[​IMG]

Good luck.

Peter

5. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

The 600g Hopper Jigging Rod is a very good rod for the money. Thats what I used yesterday on my Tuna trip. And it held up very well and had plenty of backbone and was able to easily control the Tuna I caught.

Ty

6. SteelingHeads

Thank you again guys. The Hopper looks like a nice rod.

7. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Thank you again guys. The Hopper looks like a nice rod.

Also check out the OTI rods.
    I have the 600g OTI conventional Jigging rod and its a great rod.

Be sure to post which rod you decided to go with.

For the most bang for the buck:
    OTI Jigging Rod
    Hopper Jigging Rod (600g or 500g).

Ty

8. SteelingHeads

The OTI's do look like a very nice rod as well. They do not have a 6'6" conventional jigging rod though. I will probably invest in one of their Popping Rods in time. I have decided to build since I have the time now over the winter. I have chosen a GUSA BSW65XH blank. I debated between this blank and a Phenix, but the GUSA's have been good to me in the past....not to mention, you might not be able to get GUSA's much longer. I would like to thank everyone for their input on this one.

9. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

THe GUSA PURJ 603 is a real nice blank with max drag about 28 pounds. I will try to post pics of it loaded. The blank is around $100 from Billy40. He can build it for you if desired. It has a composite tip which gives it some decent tip action for a rod with this amount of backbone. It is 6 foot long, so it is a little shorter than what you seem to prefer.

10. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

The OTI's do look like a very nice rod as well. They do not have a 6'6" conventional jigging rod though. I will probably invest in one of their Popping Rods in time. I have decided to build since I have the time now over the winter. I have chosen a GUSA BSW65XH blank. I debated between this blank and a Phenix, but the GUSA's have been good to me in the past....not to mention, you might not be able to get GUSA's much longer. I would like to thank everyone for their input on this one.

I certainly hope GUSA can get back in business. They make some great blanks.

11. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

Bar Bar tackle on ebay is making some 6'6" jiggin rods out of Super Seeker blanks. - just another option if you are looking for the longer style jiggin rod.

12. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Bar Bar tackle on ebay is making some 6'6" jiggin rods out of Super Seeker blanks. - just another option if you are looking for the longer style jiggin rod.

I guess I am not the only one with the superSeeker jigging rod idea. They are a little heavier and much thicker than the "standard" jigging blank, but I bet otherwise the SSs will perform great.

13. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Ask KSong about the Jigging Master 500g rod.