Rod Question for a Newbie!

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by shooter75, Jan 6, 2009.

1. shooter75

shooter75 Member

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

3. shooter75

shooter75 Member

Hey thanks for the response! I've been looking at those actually; however, my budget right now is around $200.

4. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I would recommend that you save up another $100 and get the OTI, those are great bang for the buck and should fit your popping/top water applications. OTI rods are tested and proven, but the one from Bar-Bar on ebay, well, I have no idea about them, and never heard of Batson Enterprise rod blank builders either. In this particular case for me, choosing an OTI is a no brainer. Hope that helps!

5. shooter75

shooter75 Member

Yeah your right, good idea. One question about the 2-piece OTI rods how is the rod secured in the handle? Is it a press fit?

6. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

send PM to Minnow on here and he'll be able to answer all your OTI rod questions.

7. shooter75

shooter75 Member

Thanks so much for your help!

Eric

8. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

SHOOTER-the oti rods are butt joined. the female end is at the end of the foregrip, works well.

LORDHELL-baston enterprises have been around a little while and make great blanks such as rainshadow.

last Feb, oti were on sale. maybe they will do that again. i got an 80lb popping rod for 209.00 id pm minnow to see if they are doing that again. might be worth the wait

9. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

Agreed with all on here. Pay a little more and get the OTI. It will have more resale value if you ever want to sell it and try something different or just end up with too many.

10. Iliveoutside

Iliveoutside Senior Member

Batson makes decent blanks. I don't have a jigging/popping rod from them, but one of my chunking rods is a Rainshadow, and it is a great rod. I am not sure what blank this one is, but BarBar is a great rodbuilder, I have 3 rods built by him, all are very nice, and his prices are reasonable.

OTI certainly can't go wrong, but if you want something "different" you should conact Ron "AKA" BarBar. He has built me 2 jigging/popping rods built on St. Croix musky blanks that are unbelievable. The nice thing about going custom is that you can get the grips the length you want. I am 6'4", so most off the shelf rods don't fit me properly, plus I like a longer butt on most of my rods, for underarm fighting. Also, he does some nice wraps, so your rod will look great.

11. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

yeah is their going to be a 30% off sale like last year.......That would be great.I need to start saving just in case.Are those the same jigging rods/blanks from oti as last year, just more expensive?

12. red34

red34 Guest

Hi guys,

Im new to this forum and had a question for whoever can answer it. I live in SoCal and Im new into jigging and I just ordered a Cabo 80 and some Power Pro 65#, now I'm in search of a good rod, so I was searching on Ebay and found this rod by Bar-Bar Tackle: Tuna Spinning Rod 7 ft 30-60 lb Sharkskin grips - eBay (item 370091518219 end time Dec-21-08 20:02:04 PST)

Is it worth the price? Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Eric

I actually have the same reel that you have with 65# spectra as well. I bought a regular heavy spinning rod (Fin Nor Offshore Series) rather than going with the OTI, as suggested on this site. Almost immediately, I returned the heavy spinning and built an OTI 50# popping rod. I was able to save about $100 by building it myself, but it would have been worth every penny to buy one outright. I'd say either be patient and watch the classifieds, build it yourself, or save up for a new one. You will love that rod.

Side note - If you build one, Use a size 24 reel seat for the Cabo or you'll be buying a new reel too.

13. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

OTI rods are nice (TJ lives about 1/2 mile from where I work. Very handy) but I also have 3 of Ron's (BarBar) rods and they are very nice. If money is important, consider a Hopper 500g spinner. Nice rods for $100. The Quantum Boca jigging rods have a following and can be had at a good price also. Not every one can justify a $260-$300 rod.

14. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

My first question is what are you wanting it to do? You mention jigging in your first post, is that the main/only purpose or do you want a more multi-purpose rig for jigging, popping, live baiting, etc?

15. shooter75

shooter75 Member

Just wanted to thank everyone again for all the helpful comments and suggestions.

TXSEADOG - Im looking for a multi-purpose rod in the 30-80# range ideally. Primary use would be for live bait and jigging bottom fish and eventually like to try my hand at popping some YFT off Mexico!