360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my Rod Huki's. Nothing is more comfortable fighting a fish under 150 pounds than a Rod Huki. You can switch from right to left hip in a second and it pivots like a champ. I prefer them over a day belt. If the action is hot, just leave them on the gimbal. You can even cast with them on the gimbal if you have the right size on your rod. They come in three different sizes to fit all gimbals.

Problem has always been that the two inserts that keep it tight against the
rod gimbal come out. That gets old. They roll on the deck, and sometimes go overboard.

I tried using Oakley's plumber's epoxy to fix the problem. It was just a temporary fix as the inserts came out after the third fish. So, to keep the inserts in place where they belong, I drilled four holes thru the aluminum and the top insert and inserted stainless steel rivets. If I ever wear out the inserts, I'll just drill out the rivets and repeat the process.

Problem solved. I can now live in peace, sleep at night, and never cuss out my rod huki's again.:)

Attachments

·
395 Posts
Mr bill I also drilled a small hole in the end cap then cut a length of 400lb mono about 8'' long inserted both ends in the hole then crimped to form a loop for a small carrabiner that I use to hook to my belt loop.It works great no more calling for someone to get your huki it's right where you need it all the time and very easy to un hook once you get settelled in.
I'll be riveting mine too that end cap has gone overboard on me twice luckly I got it back both times.

·
5,457 Posts
Mr Bill

Is there a reason you went with the SS rivets? The dissimilar metals will promote corrosion. Aluminum would prevent this.

You should contact the manufacture to see if they will incorporate this into the production models.

d-a

·
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went with SS because that's all I have. I bought a box of 500 to rivet my SKB rod cases together after I shortened them down. I do understand what happens when you combine aluminum with stainless. I have a couple of fishing chairs that have an aluminum collar tapped with stainless steel threads that tighten the collar around the aluminum round pedestal column. It's a freaking nightmare every spring to free them up.

One time I did as crazyjigr did with the clip on the end cap. I don't wear a belt. I just wear nylon fishing shorts with an elastic band. The extra weight of the rod huki pulls my shorts down. I don't like exposing myself or viewing some other guy whose shorts tend to drop:eek: I now just put all my accessory's (pliers, belts, etc) on the rocket launcher or somewhere in the cockpit.

·
1,699 Posts
Mr. Bill thats a great idea.. I lost part of one of the inserts on mine.. its a pain in the A$$ to keep up with them..

·
675 Posts
Mr. Bill thats a great idea.. I lost part of one of the inserts on mine.. its a pain in the A$$ to keep up with them..

Curious if anyone has tried a good 2 part epoxy like devcon or rodbond?

·
1,321 Posts
I use something similar to this:

Okay, the name is questionable, but they are one piece, no corrosion, fit in your pocket. The brand I have I can't find anywhere, but I got it a BPS for like $10. I use it on a spinner; it will not prevent rod torque on a conventional like a Huki will.

·
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I made the decision to make the Huki's so they can hang off a belt or a leaning post. The end caps will never come off the way I rigged them. The 400# mono went through one end, under the gimbal pin and was crimped tight to the other end cap.

I made the length just long enough to hang off your belt, and be able to be used on the right hip, center, or left hip. I used Stainless steel washers, HD solid stainless jigging rings, and crimped all joints. They could be hung or stored from either end. Here are some pics. You will see the double line running underneath the gimbal pin in the closeup. The line is 3/4" from the pin and tight against the bottom of the huki. No way the rod gimbal will ever touch the 400# mono.

Attachments

·
1,699 Posts
Looks like you are getting all of your stuff about ready for Panama.. I like your ideas.. I think it will work great..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts