360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
1,321 Posts
For the surf rod, I would go with the american rodsmith at Acadamy. BPS surf rods are basically the same and twice (or 3 times) the price. I have three I use for sharks and bull reds.

BPS does not really have anything for a spinner. Best is the Tiger Stik for 20-50# line at $55.

I am having the same problem, and am very close to going for a custom rod.

BTW, I had a "semi custom" rod made for my last year. I took a 7ft Allstar 30-50 casting rod and had spinning eyes added to the bottom four spots. It was splined backwards so worked really well. I was very happy with the backbone, casting etc. That is, until I hooked two YFT on it on my Nov Big E trip. Fishing with 15# of drag on a spheros 14000, I was really wishing I had a higher class rod. I would have put this 30-50 set up against any fish as I was testing it, and both YFT kicked my ass. (but I got 'em both.)

·
1,321 Posts
I think I paid $29 for my 10' American Rodsmith surf rods at Academy rod riot. Regularly $39. Over on 2cool shark fishing board you can read some reviews. They compare to the BPS with the cork/synthetic handles. I don't know about the ones posted. Never fished with the new reel clamp seats.

Agree with Bill on BPS. I have gotten rods that were mislabled (listed as a spinner when it was actually a casting), and sometimes the tube ends were open. They suck on shipping rods.

You are right on the big E. I want a 7'spinner at 50-80#. I fish 65# spectra, so want a 60# rod minimum. A 30-50# class rod is really 40# class IMO, and thats just too light for YFT in the > 75# class. Apparently, Roddy Gator Tail made one, but I can't find them anywhere, and I have been looking for about a year. No one that I can see makes this rod. So I am afraid I am going to have to spend some bucks and have one made.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.