Rod for Quantum Cabo 80 PT?

Discussion in 'Reels' started by Cubano, May 22, 2008.

1. Cubano

Cubano Junior member

I've bought a Quantum Cabo 80 PT and had it spooled with 65 lb Power Pro line. I'm looking to buy a rod that could work for both inshore and on a boat for yellowtail, white sea bass, albacaroe and smaller yellowfin tuna (I live on the West Coast). I like the lighter graphite rods, since they have much better sensitivity. I'm considering buying a St Croix Tidemaster (the 8' 17-40 lb one). Would this rod be a good choice or would you suggest something else (I've also thought of the G-Loomis Pro Blue, however it has a lower rating, 15-25 lb)? As far as inshore fishing is concerned, you can run into some pretty big bat rays, so I need a pretty strong rod.

Thanks

2. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Go for the OTI two piece popping rod or blank.

3. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

7ft OTI popping rod would be great, but im not sure they have any left. Its my favorite rod paired with stella 8000. If they dont make it anymore and it ever breaks i will cry.

4. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

hey Cubano, you're a SoCal guy right?
    am I to understand you're ready to go to the "dark side"?
    I've heard y'all didn't want nothing to do w/ these "coffe grinder rigs"
    just kidding amigo, spent the 1st half my life in O.C.!
    you'll love that reel on the yellows & ghosts, and I would concur w/ most here and put that on the OTI 7'-50# pop rod. I have Exactly the same setup
    loaded w/ 300y 65# JB, and I love it for tuna up to 60-70#.
    Might be a little too heavy for those firecracker yellows 10-20#, though.
    good luck and post up w/ results!
    tight lines
    -Brian

5. Cubano

Cubano Junior member

I'm trying to start a new trend. You are right that around here most people use conventionals, and they think I'm crazy for trying to use a spinning outfit for tuna. About a year ago, I read an article in a fishing magazine, how in Australia they use high end spinning outfits for fish such as Giant Trevally and Dogtooth Tuna. That got me interested in trying it out. Plus I think it would be fun catching big fish on light setups. By the way I don't know if you saw my earlier post, but which reel would you choose for a light surf setup, Quantum Cabo 40 or the new Shimano Saragosa 4000 (they are the same price)?

Thanks

6. jureal

jureal Senior Member

I'm from So Cal. Times are changing. Welcome to the club.

7. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Ya, I posted to you on that thread, but I'm partial to the Cabo's.
    never thought I'd buy a $200 Zebco, but hey, they're awesome!
    good luck on changing minds in Cali......
    might take a generation or 2, LoL
    -B

8. ahistick

ahistick Senior Member

I'm trying to start a new trend.

Thanks

More threads about spinning gear are being posted on the West Coast boards. I'm bringing only spinning gear on my 2 day charter in September :) our of San Diego. A couple other guys are bringing theirs also!

Skipjigging an iron for tuna...Fun!!!