Rod For Popping

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by jerrybarnes13, Nov 20, 2009.

1. jerrybarnes13

jerrybarnes13 Member

What Jigging rod do you suggest for my Acc. 665N Coventional. I will be fishing mostly on boats like the Big E. ? ? ?

2. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Senior Member

EdiT: my bad thought you wrote "popping" not "jigging" as your title is misleading. not awake sorry.

below post is on the right track. again, length is a little more important on party boats as the rail is higher and maneuvering around obstacles is a real necessity. At least 6'6" for that style boat.

3. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

Party / Head Boat a 7' jigging rod..I like the United Composite Wahoo jr ..I have yet to fish anything as nice..
    But a Calstar or seeker will also work...

Calstar GF 700H or XH are beasts..
    Seeker Hercules 70H also nice for tuna jigging...I have a SS brown blank I'll give you a good price on it built..
    St Criox 2M79XXXHF Musky salt unlimited super light & very strong..This would be my second choice..... Toss up between the Calstar & seeker..

4. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

OTI make a 7'6" factory rod perfect for the accurate.
    good for jigging and poppin.
    great for headboats. for tuna/ cod ect

here is a custom acid OTI 7'6" i did.
    first pic is the acid rod.
    http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f67/oti-popping-rods-6906/

there are a few good blank choices.
    plus they are on sale:D

5. Stryper

Stryper Senior Member

Jerry,
    I have both of those OTI's and really like e'm. You can also see them @ Melton's if you want to pull on it 1st. And they are a 2 piece,great if you fly back to go longrange.
    MMM

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i use the oti 7'6" 80lb rod as my go to rod. tuna, grouper, amberjack, snapper...all have been slain with this rod. rods other guys mentioned are great as well. no complaints. one nice thing abt the OTI is that its 2 piece. very convenient to travel or just put in the car. dont worry abt action or strength....the ferrule joint compromises neither IMO.

7. jerrybarnes13

jerrybarnes13 Member

Can't seem to find the 7'6" rod in OTI does it have a number 200-300-400-600???? I already have a Calstar 700H

8. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

They are 3101-765 for the 40-60#
    and
    3101-768 for the 60-80#

i have both in stock.