rod for my penn gld 30

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by A.whitman, May 16, 2008.

1. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

i need a rod for my new penn gld 30. this will be my shark rig, but if i get to tuna/wahoo country that will be my set up for them as well. i have power pro 100lb. i would like a rod to match this. i dont know the max drag on the reel. i cant afford a 500 dollar rod but 250 is probably very do-able. any suggestions would help.

Andrew

2. Cliffshot

Cliffshot Junior member

I have a KG15 2 speed on a Cal Star Graphiter 6'6". Awesome set up. Got it on ebay used for around $150. That's about top of my range for rods.

But I also have a Tsunami 5'6" Trophy (TSTSU5950) #50--100. This rod is only $89 bucks from Academy. Caught 200# Yellow Fin on the chunk with it. Awesome rod for the money. They also have model that has roller stripper and roller tip guides for $119 if you think you need that. Personally, I think the one I have with heavy regular guides is just fine.

If it were me I would go with the Tsunami. I have a 6'6" ft. Tsunami #25--40 rod I have a Penn 10LD on for jigging and and it is a work horse. Caught 2 sharks off the jig that both weighed in around #150 with no rod issues.

I like the shorter rod for bigger fish though. Sure gives you more power and leverage. That recoil on the longer rod makes it harder to lift. You have to use the short stroke and wind technique with much greater care.

My 5'6" Tsunami matched with my Braid Brute Buster harness is so powerful. Big Tuna / Grouper from down deep / Amber Jack to turn them quick. For $90 you just can't beat them. And Academy's return policy is simply bring it back and get a new one. 5 Year warranty on the Tsunami's. haven't used that but other items with Academy never been an issue.

IMO . Hope it helps.

cliff

3. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

it does. i have seen the rods and i will pick one up. thanks. any info on the max drag on the penn glds?

Andrew

4. Cliffshot

Cliffshot Junior member

My 15KG will pull about 22# of drag nicely. But I won't push it beyond that. You can feel the stress in the frame.

I have mine filled with 700 yds of JB 80 solid. Don't clamp down on those big boys, you will just piss them off. Let 'um run without too much pressure and I find that they will stop. Then start working 'um back in.

I caught a 126# Yellow Fin on a 15LD some years back. Took me hour and 25 minutes. But I got him. Don't recommend it, but it can be done.

Cliff

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

andrew, hows the fishing out there now? i may try to schedule a meeting with my client in gulfport if its getting good :)

6. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

the weather has been nasty and my wife is due any day!!!! but the months of june and july are the best around here. once the baby is born( haha only one) i will have more options.