360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents, I just recently aquired a Torsa 30 and would like to hear which rod would be best for this reel? I plan on using 65lb braid and I will be using it on the Big E for jigging and chunking. Many thanks for your input and recommendations which is greatly appreciated. Tight lines all....

astro..

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts
you've got plenty of options here, I would keep it a jigging combo
and stay away from stiff rods or roller rods

let's start with the OTI 300g, which Baosabi's got one for sale

http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f37/f-s-oti-rods-7572/

I think there's even a Smith Jigging rod in the Buy & Sell

Shimano Trevala is another good one, Capt Josh uses this with his Torsa30

I am partial to Jigging Master, 250 and 300g being my favorites;
I think there is a JM rod for sale in the Buy & Sell

just keep the rod short and flexible if you're going to jig with it

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
The OTI are a good choice.
the 7'6" OTI is a sweet rod/ blank for headboat fishing.

the shorter rods would be good for jigging, although that is a pretty big reel for jigging.

I just did a St croix PS78-50 and 60 for a guy using the torsa reels.
good choice for chunking.

·
1,201 Posts
It's a wide reel that holds a lot of string. I'd probably relegate it to the chunking role and pick a different one for strictly jigging. I had my Torsa 30's on Calstar 760M's which seemed like a good match.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I agree. Torsa 30 is a little heavy for hardcore (speed) jigging, but is ok for yoyo. But it is almost a tad light for chunking as well. Still a very good reel though.

Dale

It's a wide reel that holds a lot of string. I'd probably relegate it to the chunking role and pick a different one for strictly jigging. I had my Torsa 30's on Calstar 760M's which seemed like a good match.

·
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just came from FTU and saw some nice trevellas...rated for 200-300g. I wanna thank all for the appreciated input. My budget allows for around 200.00 for a fitted rod. As always, much appreciate everyones input...

astro..

·
2,835 Posts
if you purchase the trevala make sure you purchase the heaviest rated trevala they make......rick

And then watch it bend like a noodle.:)

Trevala's are a great beginning jigging rod or a rod for smaller species that don't require a lot of drag. If you like fishing with around 12 to 15#s of drag the extra heavy model will probably be fine. For the money, it's a good rod.

The torsa 30 holds a lot of string. (a great choice of reel by the way) I'd go with a rod that has some backbone to match this reel. I'd pick a rod that can fish at least 20#s of drag for the Torsa 30. Good luck.

·
28 Posts
I have had good luck using Calstar blanks customized by Gray Wolf Custom Rods. They are available through e-bay or custom built. Use graywolfcustoms on e-bay search and check out the rods he has for sale. My last popping rod from him was a Calstar 800MH blank with cost under $200.00.

·
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really wanna thank all for ur invaluable input on this topic. Thanks to CaboSan and Mad Marlin I hooked up with Baosabi and purchased his 300g OTI beauty!..Tight lines all

astro..

·
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea it would be..but my mom's b-day is that wekend (priorities baby)..but gonna rig it up and let San take it out for me..he'll putit to the test!

·
717 Posts
Just came from FTU and saw some nice trevellas...rated for 200-300g. I wanna thank all for the appreciated input. My budget allows for around 200.00 for a fitted rod. As always, much appreciate everyones input...

astro..

IMO you should have alloted your money differantly. You bought the most expensive reel out there and then want the cheapest rod...... And in top of that the reel is way wide and heavy for jigging and too small for chunking. Sorry to rain on your parade.

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts
IMO you should have alloted your money differantly. You bought the most expensive reel out there and then want the cheapest rod...... And in top of that the reel is way wide and heavy for jigging and too small for chunking. Sorry to rain on your parade.

I think he's fine, I don't consider an OTI a cheap rod, he got the rod at a
cheap price (good deal) .... Lots of Torsa on the Big E

and I still don't understand about people's preference for bigger reel
for chunking ... ????

for instance, if you're jigging tuna with a Torsa 20, why would you need
a bigger reel for chunking ... all you do with chunks is strip line, once
hooked, everything is the same. If you get spooled with a Torsa that
means you have your drag too light ....

capt Josh and Raul on the Big E uses Torsa 30 for everything they do,
I go even smaller: Torsa 20, 16

I have an Alutecnos 50W, but it sits home looking pretty (way too heavy
for a party boat )

I have 2 Alutecnos Gorilla 12 and I consider those to be "heavy",
I also have a Gorilla 12C , and consider that to be MAX jigging size

·
Tuna Club Member
1,708 Posts
Best rod would be a JM 400g to 500g or OTI. This reel is kinda too heavy and the gear ratio 5:8 is too fast for jigging IMO. It's good for bait/bottom fishing. It's also a good reel for chunking. I would use the trinidad or Ocea Jigger 4000P or 5000P for jigging. There are some good prices on OTI rods here...

·
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree with masterSan...i did a great deal from Baosabi on that OTI..and utilizing on a Torsa 30, hey, its all about preference and bottom line we all have a great time out there...tight lines all...

astro..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts