Rod For 665NN 2-speed??

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by DeepBlueGulf, Feb 21, 2008.

1. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

Hey guys,

I got a look at Stxfisherman's 665Extra Narrow last night and I'm gonna have to break down and get one for jigging! This reel has got to be the cat's meow for fishing for BIG fish!

Big problem is, what ROD would go with it? I'm talking about jigging for AJ and YFT in the bigger sizes. Most likely jigging with 80lb braid, maybe even 100lb JB. Jig weights will probably be 300 gram and up depending on the currents.

I haven't tried jigging with the heavier OTI rods, but will when I get a chance. What other rods are good suggestions? Any thoughts on acid wraps?

Tom - DBG

2. shanker

shanker Senior Member

Tom, Have you thought about a 6.5ft 80lb Rainshadow custom wrapped? If your interested shoot me an Email.

Jumbie Tackle Company is the place to get them.

3. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Tom,
    I still havent had the chance to hold one of these. How is the gap between the sides of the frame is it big enough for wide thumbs? I am considering a 665N or a 665NN. I like the narrower spool for casting purposes...
    -K

4. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

i have a 7' long super seeker (the green rod I had down there with cork grips). its a 50# class rod. (30-60rated). make me an offer. :)

5. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

SpecialK, A wide thumb will probably not fit in the gap. It is pretty narrow, I think STXFisherman can measure it and post the size. I think it is perfect for jigging, not sure that it would work that well for casting, I've never thought of the Accurates as being good casters, even though they have excellent freespool.

SKR - $7.00 and you pick up shipping.

DBG

6. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

hmmmm... if I was a wealthy man, I would send it to you.. but unfortunately- I am but a mere servant to the wealthy men. :) add $100 and you can have it :)

7. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

665N is 1 1/2" wide.
    665 is 1 3/4" wide
    665w is 2 1/4" wide.

I don't have NN.

8. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

The inside frame to inside frame is one inch wide.
    The actual spool width at it's widest is 15/16th of an inch.

Here's a pic.....

Attached Files:

9. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

300.oo great rod for the reel,its new..call me for the details..fuji Sic guides. reg sells for 400 ..now 3..just another choice for you:D

Attached Files:

10. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Ohhh thanks man! I think I will have to go for the N and not the NN. My thumb is right about an inch wide.. I want the most narrow without a squeeze!
    -K
    The inside frame to inside frame is one inch wide.
    The actual spool width at it's widest is 15/16th of an inch.

Here's a pic.....

11. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

My thumb fits all the way down to the spool. I measured my thumb width and it is about 7/8 inches wide at it's widest.
    Thinking about it more....I will use my index finger to drop a jig...(have to admit .. didn't even think about it). I am used to using my fingers to drop my jigs....using one finger will be different.