360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
1,105 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here and tell you what I think are the differences and, as always, welcome the comments of my more experienced partners in crime on this board: I think that IGFA rods are designed and made for fighting from a chair. As such, they can be and are brutally strong, and significantly longer than the standup rod--thus they can put incredible pressure on the fish, but not so much on the angler because he/she is sitting down and pumping with the legs. Conversely, the standup rod is typically shorter and lighter--because it has to be for most fishermen--few people can stand up to the leverage exerted by the fish on the other end of a long rod with very little bend in it. For example, I am privileged to own a five foot six inch roller rod with a nice slow action, for 80 pound line--it is very easy on me and yet makes pretty short work of small to medium tuna and I know for a fact its previous owner used it to dispatch some huge fish. I can fish far more drag on this rod than I could "stand up" to with say, a 7 foot chair rod for IGFA that was the proverbial "broomstick" with no bend in it. If I'm strapped to a chair, ain't no way that sucker is pulling me overboard!

A further advantage of the IGFA fisherman is that she/he usually is the only one or one of a very few people fishing on a private charter, and IGFA rules allow the Captain to chase the fish down by backing up on it, while the angler retrieves line. This too, allows the use of a much more powerful rod for a given line strength.

Also, I would add that I suspect that the line ratings of the IGFA rods are a lot more meaningful than those of the standup rods--primarily because their function is to protect a given pound test line against breakage by cushioning against shock. (That is a logical assumption rather than something I know to be true. :) )

Russ

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn your good, I am looking at west marine and they have shimano and other rods on clearance and the IGFA rods are $200.00 -$300.00 off and stand-up rods are $60.00 to $70.00 off.
Also what is a popular fighting belt system

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
yeah thats about right
most of the rods typically rated for "IGFA" rods are over 7' and have big tips
usually 18-28size
blanks are almost straight.no taper
used from the chair or gunnell
not all are this way..
but
when someone asks for a 80 or 130# IGFA rod thats what they have in mind

standups are usually 4'8" to 6'
nice taper on the blank to make it easier on the angler "standing up"
tips are usually 10-14size
the new SS seekers are very hot right now
the blanks are user friendly and can put the heat to some big fish standing up

·
366 Posts
my heavy tackle plate is a Smitty's XL contoured w/ extra padding (melton's sells them).

Black Magic and Braid make good belts as well. I would advise trying as many as possible, because the right one for me is not necessarily the right one for you.

·
208 Posts
what is the difference between a stand-up rod and a IGFA series conventional rod ?

I generally agree with Uncle Russ.

It's hard to do more than compare the uses contemplated by the labels (standup and IGFA); and, even then, the distinction blurs. An IGFA rod may be intended for seated, sport boat fishing on a live boat (a boat at the service of the designated angler). Whereas, standup fishing refers to that done by an angler who stands (or kneels at the rail or gunwale or sits on the butt end of a rod propped over the rail or props the rod on a knee) on a live boat or dead boat (a dead boat takes little or no action on behalf of the specific angler) Party boats are generally "dead boats." Of course, a dead boat may launch a "live boat," transferring an angler to his own skiff w/ his own skipper to fight a large fish.

Standup fishing rods may be of almost any length (I've seen 4 ft to 10 ft) and almost any action; but, they generally differ from IGFA rods I've seen in that the IGFA rods are trolling rods, often meant for use in fighting from a fighting chair, offer relatively slow action/taper and are not designed to accommodate casting live baits. They do not lend themselves to fun or effective standup fishing. However, I cannot be sure because I have never known anyone who did IGFA line class fishing.

As for the belts, sockets, gimbal plates--if you get one (and, it's not clear they're really necessary other than as fashion statements) Whatever the brand, get one designed to allow you to fight the fish with your legs and butt, not your arms or shoulders. Few things in fishing are just dead wrong, but for standup fishing, supports which call for an angler to fight fish with the angler's arms, shoulders or back are unsafe and nonsensical.

There; that should keep the pot boiling.

·
5,457 Posts
I generally agree with Uncle Russ.

Oh no two lawyers agreeing about something. Thats never good.:D :D

d-a

·
1,105 Posts
Doug: We definitely agree that the most important aspect of bringing Americans like you the justice you have earned and to which you are entitled--is the fee.

Russ

·
5,457 Posts
Russ

So I guess that the more I pay you the more justice I will get? I am starting to understand how things work now. Too bad Obama is gonna screw that up among other things.

d-a

·
Registered
558 Posts
Oh no two lawyers agreeing about something. Thats never good.:D :D

d-a

That usually means a settlement is about to happen, and they don't have to work hard in court and still collect a huge check. :mad:

You do need a long stick in the 7'4" range for trolling and using a fighting chair. The placement of a fighting chair has to be back far enough for normal traffic. You need at least two feet between the foot of the chair and the inside of the transom. The long rod creates a better angle for keeping the line over the transom when fighting a fish. The long stick combined with a curved butt can put the hurt to the meanest of fish. When chasing big game fish, you want the minimum amount of pain to be with the angler. The pain should always be placed on the fish.:)

Strong legs are important when fishing out of a chair. A well made fighting chair is a piece of equipment. They can cost up to 15K.:eek: Fifty pounds of drag will wear down little legs in twenty minutes. You might be there for a few hours if you have a fat marlin or hook big bluefin in deep water.

All you people that fish party boats really don't need a big knee plate or harness. Just use the rail. Stand up fishing on a sport-fishing boat requires a nice plate and harness. Even the best of us can't take 50 pounds of drag using just our arms longer then five or ten minutes.

I still remember watching one of my nice rigs go flying out of the boat like a torpedo. The angler had jumped into the chair and was trying to hook up the clips from the harness to the lugs while holding onto the rod by himself. It didn't work. Fifty pounds of drag on 130# mono will makes one great slingshot.:mad:

·
1,086 Posts
What about IGFA 12lb and 8lb rods?
I have a set of 8 lb IGFA spin rods that load fine w\8lb drag..
But also put together a set of 4 IGFA 12 lb rods
I picked up the rods from 1\2 Hitch Tackle in Panama City Fl. They where
in the used consignment rack, custom built, all roller detachable aluim butts ect. $250 each in the late 90's. Well I trolled,looked and bottemed fed and after a month or so took them for 100 each and put the current Hot for the day GLS 25 on them with the idea of haveing 4 good kingfish type drift baiting rigs. These rods and reels are still fising today on a boat I help outfit.

While I'm respecting the comments above as they are more likely directed
towards the question of heavy stand up gear.

If you just say IGFA rated it can be kick butt 130's or stiff 8lb stuff..

For the stand up designed IGFA rated stuff that is rated for light tackle.
I would not mind upping it a class or two on line and reel and fish it with confidence.

again my $.02

Kev

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
What about IGFA 12lb and 8lb rods?
I have a set of 8 lb IGFA spin rods that load fine w\8lb drag..
But also put together a set of 4 IGFA 12 lb rods
I picked up the rods from 1\2 Hitch Tackle in Panama City Fl. They where
in the used consignment rack, custom built, all roller detachable aluim butts ect. $250 each in the late 90's. Well I trolled,looked and bottemed fed and after a month or so took them for 100 each and put the current Hot for the day GLS 25 on them with the idea of haveing 4 good kingfish type drift baiting rigs. These rods and reels are still fising today on a boat I help outfit.

While I'm respecting the comments above as they are more likely directed
towards the question of heavy stand up gear.

If you just say IGFA rated it can be kick butt 130's or stiff 8lb stuff..

For the stand up designed IGFA rated stuff that is rated for light tackle.
I would not mind upping it a class or two on line and reel and fish it with confidence.

again my $.02

Kev
yes they are directed at typical IGFA heavy "type" rods
..if you can find the IGFA requirements of a ROD
please post..i cant get on the IGFA site
there is not much special about the requirements of the IGFA rod
i think a length.requirement must be met

·
130 Posts
The only IGFA rod regulations are 1. the rod tip must be a minimum of 40", and 2. the rod butt can not exceed 27", both measurements from the center of the reel. Gary

1 - 14 of 14 Posts