360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice that some of the pictures of heavy spinning 18K and 20K have some sort of rod straps on them for rod belts,any info on this ? ?

·
2,924 Posts
Both Braid and Aftco make spinning reel straps that can be used with any harness. Both are around $12-20.00 range at can be purchased online at Melton tackle or any other tackle store

Attachments

·
2,924 Posts
I noticed one spinning rod in the popping and Jigging section that had some sort of 2 holed adapter on the reel seat

Yeah there is a guy in RI who makes these blue rings that clamp on rods. I havent used that one but have heard good things about them. I have used the above and they work great

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
I tested Braid's rod belt for 170 - 180 lbs bluefin on a spinnier this year. The Braid's rod belt is similar to AFTCO belt which gman shows, but is the original.
With bucket harness, it was very effective and I didn't feel any pain on my bad back. However, when tuna charged under the boat, I couldn't react fast enough to unhook the rod belt.
I am thinking whether there is any better options.

G

·
jerry - in judging from your other posts, it seems like this may be geared towards party boats? if so, i'd recommend no harness on a party boat. the rails on the GOM and northeast boats are much higher than on the california boats, which makes it very tough to use a harness effectively. this is definitely not a macho thing by any means, either :)

G

·
do a search for rod huki. you can stick it in your pocket and put it on your gimbal once your hooked up. you can move your rod around others on the boat very easily and it provides enough comfort to be able to land gulf tuna relatively easy on spinning gear.....rick

G

·
I think he was looking for a harness strap only if Im not mistaken

you are correct sir. i was only trying to give him another option as i have several rod rings and still prefer the rod huki.....rick

·
5,457 Posts
I tested Braid's rod belt for 170 - 180 lbs bluefin on a spinnier this year. The Braid's rod belt is similar to AFTCO belt which gman shows, but is the original.
With bucket harness, it was very effective and I didn't feel any pain on my bad back. However, when tuna charged under the boat, I couldn't react fast enough to unhook the rod belt.
I am thinking whether there is any better options.

Kil

The braid stealth harness uses hooks instead of clips to attach to the reel strap. Its quicker to get in and out of when needed. You could add the hooks to most every harness

d-a

G

·
the hooks are definitely nice............but on a party boat i still say no harness. its a pain for you and everyone who is fishing nearby...

·
2,924 Posts
you are correct sir. i was only trying to give him another option as i have several rod rings and still prefer the rod huki.....rick

I know Rick, do you really like the rod huki is it comfortable

1 - 17 of 17 Posts