Rod base fell off Blue Rose

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by anglerinshore, May 18, 2009.

1. anglerinshore

anglerinshore Member

Fishing this past weekend i had the small tapered butt of the rod fall off my new Shimano Blue Rose S537R. It looks like it could be glued back on, but i wonder if it won't do it again. Do you guys suggest giving it a try with the glue or sending it back to for repair? It looks like a bad design in my opinion. It tapers up from the bottom of the rod for about 2 inches to the bare rod. It's a very small base and when in the rod holder it doesn't seem to keep the rod very secure and when bouncing around and leaning it puts a lot of pressure on that small tapered part of the base. Has anyone else had this problem or is there a trick for keeping them in the rod holder?

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Matt

Can you post a picture?

Pm Freddy before you send it back. He or I can fix it, but I'm leaving saturday for the keys

d-a

3. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

sounds like a loose rod wrap. you could just glue it or epoxy it. as for the split but in the rod holder if you really want to you could wrap a hand towel around the base and put it in the rod holder that way.i havent found any better way to protect the exposed rod blank.

4. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Matt,
    The tapered rod butt the one fall off ?
    Just glue it back with the rod bond or replaced it with gimbal and cap.
    I can do it if you want.

[​IMG]

Usually I slide the air conditioning pipe insulation foam at the blank of split grip handle to secured on the rod holder or rocket launcher.
    And slide it off when you're using it.

5. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

AC foam.....Good Idea to protect split grip area.
    Thanks

6. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

You can use water pipe insulation foam if you can't find A/C foam.
    It's only cost $1.99 for six foot at home depot or lowe's.

7. anglerinshore

anglerinshore Member

Freddy, it's exactly what you have the arrow pointing at that fell off. I have some expoxy that i have had for a long time and i'm not sure what kind it is. I'll try to dig it out and see what kind it is and maybe you can tell me if it's the right kind. Also i love the idea of the a/c foam. That would work out great. Do you guys use gimbals on the base of your short spinning rods or do they bother you when under your arm?
    D-A, I hope you guys have fun in the Keys. By the way. I got a 74lb. AJ on the blue rose. I was pretty impressed with it.

8. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Freddy, it's exactly what you have the arrow pointing at that fell off. I have some expoxy that i have had for a long time and i'm not sure what kind it is. I'll try to dig it out and see what kind it is and maybe you can tell me if it's the right kind. Also i love the idea of the a/c foam. That would work out great. Do you guys use gimbals on the base of your short spinning rods or do they bother you when under your arm?
    D-A, I hope you guys have fun in the Keys. By the way. I got a 74lb. AJ on the blue rose. I was pretty impressed with it.

Matt

I use a gimbal on all my rods. They stay in the rod holders better.

That's good about the AJ, did you get it at the shrimpboat, durring the tournament?

d-a

9. anglerinshore

anglerinshore Member

D-A, How hard would it be to put a gimbal on that rod? How much would you or Freddy charge to put one on for me? I think i would like to have one if i could get one that wouldn't effect my jigging. I like to put it under my arm sometimes so i'm not sure if it would get in the way or not. We got a couple AJ's off of the shrimpboat, but they were only around 25lbs. We got the bigger ones off of a number on the pipline. Not sure where we were in relation to the shrimpboat, but i think we were around 15 miles from the shrimpboat. We also got a 47 and 64 pounder off of the same spot.

10. d-a

d-a Senior Member

D-A, How hard would it be to put a gimbal on that rod? How much would you or Freddy charge to put one on for me? I think i would like to have one if i could get one that wouldn't effect my jigging. I like to put it under my arm sometimes so i'm not sure if it would get in the way or not. We got a couple AJ's off of the shrimpboat, but they were only around 25lbs. We got the bigger ones off of a number on the pipline. Not sure where we were in relation to the shrimpboat, but i think we were around 15 miles from the shrimpboat. We also got a 47 and 64 pounder off of the same spot.

Matt

Its easy to put a gimbal on any rod. Most gimbals cost less than 10 dollars, and you can put a foam or rubber cap over it if your worried about it under your arm.

How deep were you when fishing the pipeline? I have a couple spots in 330 along it.

d-a

11. anglerinshore

anglerinshore Member

We were in the same depth. If i remember right we were in 336ft. of water. The AJ's were right on the bottom and up maybe 50ft. We got some nice grouper off the same spot up to 20lbs and even got a little mako shark about 15lbs. I had never seen a mako so that was pretty cool. We had a few small dolphin show up as well.

12. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Even on short jigging rods, the rear grips of all well-designed rods are long enough to be fished all the way under your arm and/or jigged from a belt. The traslation looks like your S537R has ~18" rear grip. That should be more than enough to fish under your arm, especially with smaller frame reel like 8000 Stella. (i.e. smaller frame/smaller handle can be kept closer to chest while cranking) If not you can always keep the butt cap on it like Doug said.

BUT... To put a gimbal on that rod you'll have to cut the foam back to get enough of the blank to mount it on. Then... You'll likely need to re-shape the EVA a little to blend it to the new gimbal. For reference the OD of Fuji gimbal is 26mm or just a hair over 1". (Worst Case - If the existing EVA is too small you'd need a new rear grip that you could shape to match up to the gimbal. It looks bigger than 1" so I doubt this, just something to consider before cutting.)

Since Freddy's locked in Hotlanta forever, (sorry Freddy, couldn't help it ;)) I'd just get him to re-install the EVA butt with the right stuff and be done with it... after he finishes Doug's rods of course! ;) :)

But then again I don't necessarily like gimbals on <300g rods, so maybe that's just me.

Jason

13. anglerinshore

anglerinshore Member

Thanks for the info Jason. I guess i have to make up my mind what i want to do. I also let anyone on the boat use the rod whenever i am not using it and most people have belts with pins made for gimbals on them and i noticed by putting the butt in the belt without a gimbal it started to tear the foam and that could be the reason why the butt came off to start with. I use a belt with no pin in it just for that rod, but it's hard to make sure everyone is changing tothe belt with no pin in it when the fishing is hot and everyone is in a hurry to make another drop. How hard would it be to remove a gimbal if i decided to go back to just foam?

14. Jason4606

I also let anyone on the boat use the rod whenever i am not using it and most people have belts with pins made for gimbals on them and i noticed by putting the butt in the belt without a gimbal it started to tear the foam and that could be the reason why the butt came off to start with.

Just buy a 7 Seas belts for everybody and you'll be good to go! Heck, I could use one too while you're at it. ;) This is the issue, and it will be tough to keep it from repeating. All of that pressure from the pin pushing and twisting the EVA foam will eventually tear it off again.

How hard would it be to remove a gimbal if i decided to go back to just foam?

Prob not as easy as going to a gimbal. But not impossible. Basically you'd have to strip off the gimbal and the new shortened rear grip and start over with a new grip. (Keep in mind the EVA cap is mounted right on the end of the blank or on a small tip of exposed blank. But the gimbal needs ~1 5/8" of exposed blank to install. So once the grip is cut away, it's gone.) If you keep the EVA butt and aluminum spacer ring, and make a quick template of the rear grip it will make it easier...

Let me know if you need my address for that new belt! ;)

Later,
    Jason

15. anglerinshore

anglerinshore Member

Hey Jason, i got your belt i the mail. If you don't get it then the post office should messed the delivery up! Haha. Thanks for the good info. I think i may try the gimbal and see how it works. I see you are in Alabama. Do you fish out of Gulf Shores much? I usually get there at least once a season.

16. Jason4606

Hey Jason, i got your belt i the mail. If you don't get it then the post office should messed the delivery up! Haha.

Man, I hope they don't lose it... They always mess me up on deals like this! Dang Post Office! :D

I see you are in Alabama. Do you fish out of Gulf Shores much? I usually get there at least once a season.

Maybe 2-3 times per year out of Orange Beach/Perdido. But I've already had 2 trips cancelled due to economy and another cancelled due to a last-minute issue this year. :(

I know a couple of guys that fish the area regularly and will hopefully work out another trip soon! :)