360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some expert advice on a rod and reel for offshore fishing. This past summer I took my first tuna fishing trip, and it's all I want to do anymore. Here's my question though....... I bought a Daiwa Saltist 40 and a jigging rod, and it has proven to be a great rig for jigging for tuna. My problem is that it is not even close to adequate for grouper, aj's, etc....... I learned that the hard way after losing several big ones with this rig.

I need to know what to look for in a rod when it comes to fishing for these species of fish. I also need to know what type of reel to get as well. Like I said, I'm new to this type of fishing, but after taking several trips, I'm not interested in any other type of fishing anymore. So, I need to equip myself properly.

Thanks for your help.

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
There are ALOT of choices depending on your budget.
There are a few different actions in rods.
some guys like a moderate action, some like faster action.
and then there are different lengths.

alot goes into finding/getting the right rod for you.

i use a slatiga 30T and 50 reel.
the new OTI has a few good blanks that will work for this.
it all comes down to your budget.

and how you are fishing

·
124 Posts
I'm not new to fishing at all. But I am new to this modern jigging. I have a Trinidad 40n and am going to pair it up with an OTI 600g and load the reel with 80lb tuffline. That will be my tuna jigging outfit. I'm probably going to go with a Saragossa 18000 and an OTI 8'6" 40/60 and fish 60lb on it. That will be my popper rig. I may also pick up an OTI 60/80 with a Stella 18000. I'm not big on jigging with spinning tackle, so I'll probably stick to conventional for jigging. Right now I could spend an easy $5K on jigging/popping tackle. But considering I'm not going to be doing this as much as some guys, at least this year, I'll stick to more moderately priced equipment.

·
2,030 Posts
There is a difference in the way you fight a tuna compared to a grouper. I have caught a box car load of grouper and ajs with my Saltist 40. You just have to pour the coals to the fish the instand you feel the hit and don't let up. That reel is more than ample to do the job, is the angler?

·
3,165 Posts
Hey Hooked On....ur definitely on the right site for great info about ur initiation to big game! Best of luck to ya!

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
The trini is another great reel.

The OTI 600 is a meat stick. A great rod And will handle some big fish.
Most of the AJ fishing would be fine with a rod in the 300-400g range.

The 300 may be better to work a jig for AJ.

For bottom fishing grouper, the jig action is not quite as important.
so you may be able to use a higher rated rod.
but they may not be needed ..depending on your fishing styles.

·
Banned
831 Posts
There is a difference in the way you fight a tuna compared to a grouper. I have caught a box car load of grouper and ajs with my Saltist 40. You just have to pour the coals to the fish the instand you feel the hit and don't let up. That reel is more than ample to do the job, is the angler?
Gee, I sure hope when I grow up I'll be as tough as you:rolleyes:
seriously though, I think it depends on what kind of structure you're fishing around. fishing around oil rigs requires much stouter tackle than rocks, live bottom, and wrecks.
I'm about to upgrade my jigging tackle and if a saltist 40 will stop 40-60lb ajs around rigs I can save a hell of alot of money!

·
2,030 Posts
Sorry I don't do rigs out of Destin, but fish some pretty big structure, I by the way wasn't bragging just stating how the Saltist works and no I wouldn't try to catch big fish on rigs with a Saltist. I would recommend a 2 speed of some sort or at least an Aleuchnos gorilla 12 or 12C for the stopping power. For rigs you will also need a bigger jigging rod with some serious backbone to drag the fish away.

·
5,457 Posts
Gee, I sure hope when I grow up I'll be as tough as you:rolleyes:
seriously though, I think it depends on what kind of structure you're fishing around. fishing around oil rigs requires much stouter tackle than rocks, live bottom, and wrecks.
I'm about to upgrade my jigging tackle and if a saltist 40 will stop 40-60lb ajs around rigs I can save a hell of alot of money!

I don't know why it wouldn't I catch Aj's all the time around the rigs with a torium 20.

d-a

·
5,457 Posts
how big are they?

40+ one was caught on the Big E last year and I couldn't pull it away from the rig with the boat. The ones in the gulf around the rigs are harder to get in than the ones I caught in NC.

d-a

·
Banned
831 Posts
40+ one was caught on the Big E last year and I couldn't pull it away from the rig with the boat. The ones in the gulf around the rigs are harder to get in than the ones I caught in NC.

d-a
how much drag are you getting out of that reel? the reason I'm asking is that I have several 20s and 30s on my boat and have always been wary about applying too much drag and having the anti-reverse go out.

·
124 Posts
You need cranking power when you're trying to pull AJs away from a rig. IMHO the Tor 20 doesn't exactly fit that bill. The gear ratio is too high and the spool diameter too small. A reel with a lower gear ratio and bigger diameter would be better in this application. I had some fish I couldn't stop with a Baja Special and 50lb which gets about 26lbs of drag and 4.9:1 gears! This is why I stepped up to the Trinidad 40N and haven't looked back. If I can't stop em with straight 65lb and 30lbs of drag, they're not meant to be caught. Now tuna on the other hand are a different story. Cranking power is important, but reel capacity also plays more importantly into the equation.

IMHO a good GOM tuna is 100lbs with a 150 being a really good one, and a 200 rare, but possible. But there are lots of 40-70 yft. So, by west coast standards, you should be able to get away with medium sized tackle (60-80lb).

With this in mind, I would rather bring a cannon to a gunfight and be a little over-gunned for AJs, but have the right rig for yft. I'm trying not to be a tackle ho - but it may not work out! LOL!

Just my .02

·
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You need cranking power when you're trying to pull AJs away from a rig. A reel with a lower gear ratio and bigger diameter would be better in this application.

That's the kind of info I need. Someone recommended the Shimano TLD 50 2 speed. Any input on that.........?

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
That's the kind of info I need. Someone recommended the Shimano TLD 50 2 speed. Any input on that.........?
all of the rods/ reels so far have been for mostly jigging these fish, using a lighter weight setup.

the TLD50 2spd is more of a trolling reel.
it would work great. you could use a bent butt tuna rod and pull anything you wanted away from the towers.

·
Banned
831 Posts
we use TLD50LRS's for live baiting AJ's and live baiting and chunking tuna. with 130lb braid and 200lb leader we still lose an AJ occasionally if hooked near or inside the rig.
like Paul said though this is not a jigging reel---at least not one you can comfortably jig with for more that a minute or two.

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
Also have a look at the JM powerspell reels. Serious drag and cranking ability according to the specs. Has anyone here fished these in anger yet?

·
124 Posts
Also have a look at the JM powerspell reels. Serious drag and cranking ability according to the specs. Has anyone here fished these in anger yet?

I'm a tackle ho. Making a suggestion like that is like asking an alcoholic if he wants a drink! :D

p.s. the JMPE5 has me drooling! Luckily my Trini 40N will keep me happy for a while.

·
5,457 Posts

Yes I used a Pe 3 and didn't care for it. It had some issues and I didn't care for the 21 inches of line retrieval it had

d-a

·
5,457 Posts
how much drag are you getting out of that reel? the reason I'm asking is that I have several 20s and 30s on my boat and have always been wary about applying too much drag and having the anti-reverse go out.

I Worry about it as well, but have yet to have it fail. I have the cals drag plate and carbontex and can get 35 lbs out of it but try and keep it at 15-17lbs.

d-a

1 - 20 of 35 Posts