Roberts Rangers

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by hamptonsurf, Jul 9, 2009.

1. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

I have used these alot, but never tested them on heavy drag. I might hand some bags of lead off one this weekend, but was just wondering if anyone has tested their strength. I use them for small tuna (up to maybe 70 lbs) but nothing much bigger that fights the same. I love the action and durability (and price) but want to make sure I don;t save 15 bucks at the cost of losing fish.

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

ive used them with 20-22lbs of drag no issues.

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

4. hamptonsurf

Thanks....looks like they are sufficient. I'll change the hook and split ring, but I think I can now trust the through wire. I would love to have them made with some extra strength through wires. Cool, simple lure....gotta love that.

Too bad the surface tensions are less substantial....I love the action on them as well. I'm going to call line stretcher and see what they can do.

5. LST-Ray

LST-Ray Junior member

Thanks....looks like they are sufficient. I'll change the hook and split ring, but I think I can now trust the through wire. I would love to have them made with some extra strength through wires. Cool, simple lure....gotta love that.

Too bad the surface tensions are less substantial....I love the action on them as well. I'm going to call line stretcher and see what they can do.

Hello HamptonSurf,
    I am the maker of Surface Tension. There are no issues with the construction of Surface Tension. Surface Tension is "Truly Thru Wired" .... the wire is .051 inch Stainless Steel with Tensile strength of 1350 lbs. The wires are captured in the internal weight as well as overmolded with Solid ABS plastic. Please refer to section of CAD drawing for clarification.

Please contact me @ (617) 666-FISH (3474) ... I would love to discuss with you further.
    Regards,
    Ray

Attached Files:

6. hamptonsurf

Whoa, ask and ye shall receive. I'm at work at the moment, but would love to chat. As I said above, i really love the survace tension action. That through wire on all of them can handle 1300+ pounds? The reason I felt they were not substantial is because I had a large fish twist one (obviously not the same as tensile strength) and the wire connection point twisted like a haywire and just gave out. Perhaps there was some other cause, maybe a bad batch or somehow damaged wire. Thanks for the reply. I will definitely be in touch.

7. LST-Ray

LST-Ray Junior member

Hello Hamptonsurf,
    I have never heard of this twisting issue. If torque develops (between a lure and a fishes mouth) I can understand bending (of any wire) but not a twist. I am pretty sure a split ring would open/stretch before the wire. Torque is more likely to develop with 2 Hook plugs.

I have had customers catch BFT & YFT's on them with no issues. Here is a photo of a Rooster that I had landed from the surf. Lure looks as good as new.

Attached Files:

8. hamptonsurf

I'll send you a pic, I have the thing somewhere. I was going to make alterations myself and try it again.

9. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I am the maker of Surface Tension. Ray

Ray,
    Just a note to tell you that I love your lures. Simple and productive. I need to toss them more often. Like everyone else, I have a ton of lures, and I just can't fish them all. :mad: Next time I'm around tuna, I'll sling a surface tension at them and post a picture.

10. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

Back to the Rangers; I found out that they are made around 10 miles away from me! They are thru wired with .062" wire, so they should hold up to the drag.

If I can talk them into it, would you want to see a swivel added to the rear as the hook attachment area?? Or a beefier thru wire? I'm trying to get some made up in Purple, any other colors? They dye the injection ABS plastic to get the colors, so they probably can't do the fancy patterns and stuff.