River time.

Discussion in 'Freshwater fishing reports' started by iyaman, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Dobhar-Chu

Dobhar-Chu Active Member

Fuzzy,

Do you know lyleann Sorter at KIS?

D-C

2. iyaman

iyaman Senior Member

3. iyaman

iyaman Senior Member

My first batch this year. Still learning. Smoke salmon or BBQ with smoke infused flavor? Lol

4. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Having multiple user acct's is a violation of site rules, and will be
    enforced without reservation should I discover it.

Just sayin.............

jiggingnut likes this.
  5. lite-liner

this post sounds VERY familiar.
    Unless it's just Joe Biden plagiarizing other folk's words, AGAIN.....:rolleyes:

jiggingnut likes this.
  6. Dobhar-Chu

Dobhar-Chu Active Member

iyaman likes this.
  7. north coast

north coast Senior Member

I’m not reading your posts anymore unless you send me some of that.

That’s it ! I mean it . I’m done !

:)

Damn that looks tasty.

bnz, iyaman, lite-liner and 1 other person like this.
  8. lite-liner

thats funny..

iyaman likes this.
  9. iyaman

iyaman Senior Member

There is a good chance you will not read this lol...

Tasted really good!! I did 1:3 sugar salt ratio. I think i will try 1:4 on my next smoke.
    I kept 2 fillets and the rest given to friends. I should have kept more. It seems to taste better after it sits on the fridge.

north coast likes this.
  10. Dobhar-Chu

Dobhar-Chu Active Member

Excellent! I think its time to go north....

iyaman likes this.
  11. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

Classic DIY steelhead/salmon mod ............so simple ........so productive.

iyaman likes this.
  12. iyaman

iyaman Senior Member

And i have a gazillion of colors to choose from at my house. You know, wifey plus 2 daughters lol

13. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

Hot smoking cooks fish
    cold smoking is part of a curing process.
    Sorry HJ ..........if its using smoke its smoking..........efficiently, effectively or not..........its smoking.
    I'm sure you have tongue in cheek when you are typing my friend.

If you are unfortunate & have a low salt diet, lemon & lime juice etc performs a similar curing action to brine.
    Yes curing action ( killing bacteria, & most other pathogens etc ) ..........not pellicle formation. The combination of sugar & salt draws the cellular body fluid ( protein)out of the flesh into the sugary syrup from the brine to form the sticky pellicle layer that absorbs the smoke resin & assists it to absorb into the flesh. The absence of an effective pellicle minimises smoke resin penetration into the flesh & produces a very high resin concentration on the surface of the flesh.
    If you are unfortunate to have a low salt diet you can copy the oven baking technique of 'basting' to assist smoke resin penetration into the flesh being smoked. Baste at least every hour or so of the smoking cycle with a sugar syrup.............maple syrup if you like that flavour or a sugar syrup .....plain, brown, or infused with herbs or other flavorings of your fancy.
    Many are the basting concoctions / 'marinades' brushed/basted onto meats in cooking/smoking processes.

The above info is provided as a past director of a fish processing company with an award winning smokehouse here in Oz.

My commiserations to everyone who must maintain a low salt diet...........for optimal smoking results you just need to provide an alternative to the pellicle formation. Speaking plain.......its not as good as a proper pellicle but a heck of a lot better than smoking bare.

Dobhar-Chu and iyaman like this.
  14. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

Iyaman, wifey here stopped painting her nails years ago.... she does the nail salon thing.& no daughters..............I have to rummage in the beauty shops/ chemists myself to get my nail polish.

I don't go fishing in freshwater without a selection in my kitbag............its such a simple solution for customising lures on the fly.

in the workshop the airbrush colours & resin tints are in open display racks.............the nail polish collection is hidden in the rafters............rumours can start so easily.............years ago I was sprung in the DIY brassiere section perusing lace patterns for spray painting templates & it took a while for some people to forget why I was really there in that section. :oops::oops::oops::oops:

iyaman likes this.
  15. iyaman

iyaman Senior Member

my phone is acting up DenisB. Can't quote your post. But the above last paragraph made me laugh!

16. Dobhar-Chu

Dobhar-Chu Active Member

HILARIOUS Denis... lacey patterns huh....

D-C