ripped off on ebay

Discussion in 'Reel Repair' started by alantani, Jul 31, 2009.

1. alantani

alantani Senior Member

a friend of mine bought a reel on ebay. it looks like he was ripped off. yeah, i know things like this happen, but i thought i'd post this just as a reminder. here's the description that he sent to me.

[​IMG]

it felt "crunchy" to him, so he sent it down for an inspection and an upgraded washer. first, we are looking for a new main and pinion gear.

[​IMG]

we are looking for a new drag washer as well.

[​IMG]

well, this sure isn't it. this washer shows evidence of wear and water intrusion.

[​IMG]

the main gear shows evidence of damage on the leading edge of the gear teeth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the pinion gear is also badly worn.

[​IMG]

and what's with all the black paint on the handle arm?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i guess you could call this "wear," but i would call it deep pitting corrosion.

http://alantani.com/gallery/1/1_17_07_09_9_15_19_1.jpeg

someone had installed the gear shaft washer (key #79) ON TOP of the gear shaft shield (key # 78), instead of underneath.

http://alantani.com/gallery/1/1_17_07_09_9_15_22_2.jpeg

this caused damage to the brass sleeve. it also means that this switch had been made some time ago and the reel had been fished for a while.

http://alantani.com/gallery/1/1_17_07_09_9_13_56_1.jpeg

http://alantani.com/gallery/1/1_17_07_09_9_13_58_2.jpeg

now, it is entirely possible that my friend is stoned on meth and he's making all of this up, but i doubt it. to me, it looks like he was ripped off. looks like someone will be getting negative feedback. alan

2. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Alan, Could you let us know the seller so that we can watch out for him.
    Thanks!

3. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

That's a perfect example of why ppl shouldn't purchase used reels from ebay. You just have no idea what the insides look like!

4. wadefisherman

wadefisherman Tuna Club Member

I don't buy used reel period. You'll never know what you're going to get.

5. alantani

alantani Senior Member

i actually do not know who the seller is. as with all things, there remains a possibility that there was simply an honest mistake. we shall see. alan

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

was the price 9.50 + shipping?

7. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

was the price 9.50 + shipping?
    I think the shipping was 9.50

8. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I've done over three thousand transactions on ebay. Only once did I have a problem. It was about eight years ago, and I took a chance on an item that didn't have any pictures. My fault, I knew better. I only paid $45 for the item but it was worth 45 cents.

I save thousands every year on ebay. 85% of the stuff I buy is New In Box. The only used things I buy are true collectibles. Just look at the sellers past history. If he's selling ten plasma TV's right now and has never sold them in the past, them pass him on and go the the next person selling plasma's and has sold them for long time. That feedback rating is there for a reason. It's to protect you. And, always pay with paypal. In fact, I think ebay makes everyone pay with paypal now. That's great for ebay since they own paypal.

One thing I don't like about ebay's policy right now is:

A seller cannot leave a negative on a buyer. Only buyers can leave a negative on a seller.

I think deadbeat buyers need to be punished. Ebay's marketing told them that the average Joe is afraid to buy an item on ebay fearing a negative feedback. So now a seller cannot leave you a negative if you don't pay. The seller can file a complaint which gives the deadbeat buyer a strike. Three strikes and they suspend you from ebay.

9. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

Craigs list is no different than the classified pages in your newspaper. You find samething for sale, go check it out, then buy if you like.

Would anyone in NH buy a TV that was listed in the sunday classifieds of a local paper in Virginia without seeing it? I doubt it.

10. word-doctor

word-doctor Senior Member

I have never bought a bad used reel (or tackle) off e-bay. I've had luck with a few sellers over and over, and have bought singles from people who've since disappeared. The former--my regulars--have high ratings and sell a lot of stuff. I may be jinxing myself, but so far, so good.