360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I keep getting cut offs from KM's i trying to figure out how to rig a wire trace without effecting the action of the jig. I went to the Shimano website and the video shows them tying Tyger wire to fluro. Any have any suggestions what to use or know a youtube clip i can watch and learn. Thank you

·
1,448 Posts
i use 6-12 inches of 40lb tygerwire tied uni to uni. if that isnt enough i use 60lb malin single strand to a swivel. the single strand needs to be replaced after any kink or it will break. it also works for blues and spanish as well. they all love the jigs!!

·
418 Posts
Well what i am going to tell you is going to wire will hurt your bite. If you want kings then use wire if you are targeting "better" fish then you need to stick with mono or floro and just know you are going to lose jigs. Buy some diamond jigs (hammered and normal) off the internet for cheap. For butterfly type jigs contact minnow on this board he will hook you up(much cheaper than shimano).

·
1,448 Posts
i agree. i thought you were fishing for kings. a good way to avoid getting bit off by toothy critters is jig in fresh water for bass. just joking. i still havent found a way around losing jigs to the macks. sometimes when im jigging for bottom fish i stop jigging half way up and reel in slowly with no action. most of the time the kings leave it alone.

·
1,321 Posts
I was on a partyboat overnight tuna trip a few years back when the Butterfly jig was becoming a fad. We had started our first drift and had been at it for maybe 30 minutes when I came inside for something. There was a gentleman, maybe 50 years old, that I swear was about the cry. He was wailing and moaning, pacing and sulking. I finally asked him what was wrong, and he replied that in under 30 minutes he had already gone thru all his brand new Shimano jigs, worth about $200, without landing a single fish. (It was barracuda, not KM.) I just chuckled and said I was glad to not have the problem, 'cause I got all my jigs off ebay for about $4 each. And you rarely lose a $4 lure!

If you put a wire on the jig, you will rarely hook a tuna, and your catch rate on other fish will go way down. I think the best you can do is put a little heavier flouro leader on, but still likely won't stop the KM.

Unfortunately, thats part of jigging. If the KM are thick, you need to change over to another less expensive method.

·
2,030 Posts
I have tried Tyger wire and it will help with stopping the cutoffs from kings and cudas and sharks but it will decrease your bite conciderably on other fish. I just buy super cheap jigs now so when I loose one I don't have to go take out a loan. If you need the link pm me and I will send it to you.

·
197 Posts
Wire will cut the bite down big time during the day. It sucks but mono is the only way to go, no need for floro. Toothy fish will cut #150 mono as fast as #40 mono. I expect to lose 2-4 jigs per trip. That’s why I buy cheap jigs. Any jigs over $5 are too much. I don't buy the Shimano hype and buy the expensive jigs. If they're there, you will get bit. Losing jigs is part of the game. All my jigs in my tackle bag are new because they don't last more than two trips.

·
Administrator
1,440 Posts
Have you guys try to jig faster with wire leader on.

I have not seen decrease in hook up ratio once you increase the speed of your jigging style. The key to it is speed. Give it a try.

·
197 Posts
Minnow, different speed for different species. You might get away with it when jigging a mid water and up. You can increase the speed and still be able to target the same type of fish. Sometime when you want to work a jigs on the bottom and keep it there, fast jigging is not possible.

·
Administrator
1,440 Posts
Agree with you on that, i should have mention high speed jigging will work for; AJ, King Mack, and blackfin tuna. these are the 3 species of fish that I caught using wire leader.

·
88 Posts
Hey,

You don't need much of a piece of wire. Just 4" or so will save you a bunch of jigs. If you wire it with a haywire twist loop it won't restrict the action of the jig. Have them pre-rigged so you can switch to/from wire quickly - small black swivel on one end and a solid ring with assist hook on the other.

If there's a lot of toothy stuff around, the bite is usually pretty hot anyway and the good stuff ain't that picky. You'd probably still get hit if you tied it on with a coat hanger. I mostly tie my mono leader straight to the jig, and I don't mind losing a jig every now and again, but when there's a go-zillion $#%!ing kings flyin' around down there, I can't stand it, I have to put a piece of wire on.

F

·
553 Posts
Using wire will not affect action of the jig significantly. In general fishes will be focused on jig movement and not necessaraily on technical motion of the lure. If you target YFT during the day, mono/flo is a must, not so on low light conditions and at nite - you can get by with wire at nite as I have caught several yellowfins with wire.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts