Rigging & Rod suggestions for Trini40N

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by parrothead, Nov 22, 2009.

1. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

I've got a new Trinidad 40N, currently loaded with 65lb power pro and short top shot of 40lb mono I've been using for hurling iron for wahoo & kings. Been thinking of converting it to a speed jigging outfit for tuna. What rod would you guys suggest I use? Should I keep this line on the reel or go in a different direction?

Thanks for the input.

2. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

If it were me. I would pull the PP off there, put on some good 80lb braid with a 100lb flouro topshot (because you said tuna) and put the reel on 300g rod. The 300g OTI would be a great starting place or have JPR Paul custom build you a spiral wrapped for it, which would be the bee's knees.

3. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

My choice would be the OTI G3 400g since it has a little more backbone than 300g... Not sure where you are. But it's a perfect all-around Gulf of Mexico rod IMO.

There have been a few of them on sale here lately... not sure if these are still available at a discount, but still a bargain even at full price.;)

I'd get some type of marked line for the reel too. I have the OJ4000P which is same size and it's loaded with 80lb OTI braid... love it! It's easy to drop to marked fish counting 4 x 25' color changes.