360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 penn internationals 20s and 1 shimano tyrnos 20 that will be used mainly for trolling. I also bought 5 shimano torium 30s for mainly bottom fishing maybe some jigging(if they are good for this). I also have a penn 750 combo I know this is not a good reel for jigging so I won't ask how to rig it:( . I bought a okuma cedros CJ-80s (is this a decent jigging reel? If so can you tell me what is the best way to rig this reel. I just bought my first boat and money got tight buying new equipment and electronics so there won't be any stellas just yet:mad: . I will fish a little out of the Willmington area, but mostly out DI in the GOM.

Sorry if I sound a little ignorant, but when it comes to some of the things I read on here some of it is over my head. I grew up fishing the GOM bottom fishing.
thanks for any help

·
804 Posts
Those toriums have a high gear with a fairly fast retrieve, don't know if they have grunt to muscle grouper away from their holes. I use mine for Tarpon, Sharks,and Jigging Blackfin etc. Never caught a yellow on it, but it has put the hammer on many a feisty bkft.

G

·
if you use the torium within its intended guidelines itll be ok. that being said, dont try to get 22lbs of drag out of it, even if it seems like you can. the antireverse isnt strong enough. but for 15, 16 lbs of drag or so it should be OK. prob with bottom fishing is the increased drag once you drop a lot of line off. just try to adjust accordingly.

at this point you have the reels so id give them a shot and see what happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts