RIGGING A SPREAD FOR BLUE FIN AT CAPE COD

Discussion in 'Fish Species and Techniques' started by shawn44, Oct 18, 2009.

1. shawn44

shawn44 Junior member

GUYS LOOKING FOR A LITTLE INSITE ON A 5 4 OR 5 ROD SPREAD ON THE TROLL OFF RACE POINT CAPE COD THIS COMING WEEK, USALLY JUST A BASS GUY OFF THE POINT BUT WANT TO TRY MY HAND AT THE TUNA, HAVE THE PERMIT FROM THE FEDS AS WE SHARK AND ARE SET UP WITH SHAMANO 50 WIDE 2 SPEEDS, THE LURES WE HAVE ARE BRAID MARAUDER IN MACKRAL / ON ONE ROD 2ND ROD WE HAVE A BRAID TANTRUM MAGNUM IN BLUE / 3RD ROD ON TOP A HOGY THE SNIPER IN BUBBLE GUM COLOR AND THE 4TH ROD ON TOP IS A HOGY THE SNIPER IN PEARL THE HOGYS COME PRE LEADERED SHOULD I RUN THE LEADER SUPPLYED TOO THE SWIVEL ON THE MAIN LINE , AND SHOULD I RUN A 5TH ROD DOWN THE MIDDLE, ALL RIGS ARE RIGGED WITH HD HOOKS AND RIGGINGS ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT, WEATHER LOOKS GREAT FOR THURSDAY THIS WEEK, ANY BODY ELSE GOING SHAWN LUDLOW MASS

2. north coast

north coast Senior Member

Stop yelling:) For me it would depend on the size of your boat. 5 rods on a smaller boat can make turning difficult. I've seen some awesome clusterf*&^s especially with braid. If I decide to troll I'll fish 2(deep divers) out of outrodders and maybe rubber down the middle way back. This is just the way I do it .There are countless variations though.
    Good luck. I hope your right about the weather. I need to get out there again soon. I feel a terrible headache coming on every time the wind drops off during the week.;)
    Oh, we found out last year that the fish were responding to squid spreader bars really well at this time of year. Black.

3. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

I would drag 11 lines off my boat...spreaders bars , birds you name it...The one lure that caught the most fish was a 6" cedar plug..$3 unrigged $6 rigged best money I ever spent.........

I would have all kinds of s##t out there FISH ON...cedar plug than a small green maching or some other lure.....Spend the $6 its worth every penny..

4. calebw

calebw Member

Lets not forget about a horse ballyhoo ilander combo. Most guys that commercial bluefin down here in NC are using bluewater candy jags instead of ilanders now. Pink / White is a hot color, so is All crystal with pink head

5. dingoatemebaby

dingoatemebaby Senior Member

i agree with the ballyhoo idea with either ilander or sea witch in blue and white, i'll usually troll 4 spreaders(Black w/ green stinger, and pink w/ white stinger has been hot this year) 2 green machines with birds in front of them, 2 ballyhoo combos, and 3 zukers on the flatlines, if you find a color that is hot, don't hesitate to switch the spread as this can mean the difference between a boat ride and a successful fishing trip, tight lines!

6. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

the bluewatre candy lures are cool, I had a dredge made up with about 40 of the small ones and it looks awesome in the water up tight behind the boat. Nice sparkle, without all the bulk. Certainly easier than rigging 40 balyhoo or mullet!!!