360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know how to rig up for large grouper etc.
How do I make the rig, connect the hook and weight?

·
2,030 Posts
for bottom fishing use a big swivel with the sinker above said swivel on your main line and tie to swivel and the use a 4' to 6' leader of mono with at least 100# and tie it to swivel on the other end and then tie a hook on the other.

Grouper Rig

·
131 Posts
The link Spiney gave you is pretty good. A lot has to do with:

1. How deep will you be fishing? The deeper, the heavier the line you'll use to minimize the stretch.

2. How big are the fish you're targeting? Bigger fish = bigger tackle. The fight is one in the first 10 yards -- get him away from the structure and you've just about home.

3. How much current? Grouper are lazy and usually won't venture away from the structure that gives them a break from the current. More current, use a longer leader.

G

·
620 Posts
I went over to the tent sale Roy's had going this past Saturday morning and Rick and TJ were there with some awesome looking grouper leaders.

I think there were two leaders in the package for about $14. Made from high quality components you couldn't make them yourself for that price.

Check with OTI.

B

·
659 Posts
20 oz bullet weight tied direct to main line, followed by 10-15ft of minimum 200# leader, 12/0 to 14/0 circle hook loaded with a magnum live bait. I was shown this rig in venice by Capt. Damon with super strike and have used it sucessfully on BIG gouper and AJ. Simple,cheap,effective......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts