rig for grouper

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Brokejeep, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Brokejeep

Brokejeep Senior Member

I need to know how to rig up for large grouper etc.
    How do I make the rig, connect the hook and weight?

2. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

for bottom fishing use a big swivel with the sinker above said swivel on your main line and tie to swivel and the use a 4' to 6' leader of mono with at least 100# and tie it to swivel on the other end and then tie a hook on the other.

Grouper Rig

3. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

if your fishing oil rigs i would use a long(15-25ft) 200-300lb mono leader. or wire.

4. Grifft

Grifft Senior Member

The link Spiney gave you is pretty good. A lot has to do with:

1. How deep will you be fishing? The deeper, the heavier the line you'll use to minimize the stretch.

2. How big are the fish you're targeting? Bigger fish = bigger tackle. The fight is one in the first 10 yards -- get him away from the structure and you've just about home.

3. How much current? Grouper are lazy and usually won't venture away from the structure that gives them a break from the current. More current, use a longer leader.

G

5. awesum

awesum Senior Member

I went over to the tent sale Roy's had going this past Saturday morning and Rick and TJ were there with some awesome looking grouper leaders.

I think there were two leaders in the package for about $14. Made from high quality components you couldn't make them yourself for that price.

Check with OTI.

B

6. Aggie82Josh

Aggie82Josh Senior Member

Here you go...unless you would rather just make them yourself.

GROUPER

7. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

20 oz bullet weight tied direct to main line, followed by 10-15ft of minimum 200# leader, 12/0 to 14/0 circle hook loaded with a magnum live bait. I was shown this rig in venice by Capt. Damon with super strike and have used it sucessfully on BIG gouper and AJ. Simple,cheap,effective......

8. Brokejeep

Brokejeep Senior Member