Results of Deep Sea Round Up??

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Bill'em, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Bill'em

Bill'em Guest

Anyone know the outcome of the "Deep Sea Round Up" out of Port A?

2. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

I heard that an OTI rod was used to win one of the fish categories! But I'll let the angler tell the story.

Tom - DBG

3. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Here's a tease for you. This picture doesn't should what kind of fish. One of the names is someone that post on this board. I didn't get to the weight in until around 6:15 Friday. They must have come in before then. Lot's of billfish were caught the first day. I'll let the guys that fished it give their report.

Attached Files:

4. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

Congratulations Hard Licker and Crew!! Heard there were some rough waves out there!!

5. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Here's a Double Tease!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

6. awesum

awesum Senior Member

I saw Jerry weigh in his fish and gave him a shout .....all he wanted was a beer.:rolleyes:

Congrats to Jerry!

7. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I showed up with Gunsmoke very late to the weigh in Friday. He had been fishing most of the week and had called it quits for the week. He got caught in some really bad weather a few times last week. Even though the seas were 5-6s on Friday, that was the best of the past week. The GOM is always a rough mother. Not many fishable days for guys with smaller boats. I think Saturday gave more favorable conditions.

Sorry I missed you guys on the Hark Licker at the weight in. They said over the Microphone that 811 people had entered the Deep Sea Roundup. Congrats to Jerry. Lot's of very nice boats backing up to the dock before the 7PM deadline. Oil and Gas is booming in Texas. Lot's of pocket change being spend on floating Condo's.

I have stored in my camera probably the most classic picture I have ever taken. I will not post it, but it pretty much summarizes a 25 year friendship of a fellow fisherman and friend. There is at least 800 people in the crowd watching the boats arrive. The guy is standing right below the Deep Sea Round Up fish weigh in board with a huge hand made margarita pretending he is looking at the weight's of the fish. His eyes are purely focused on the four young girls writing down the names. He has the biggest smile on his face and is in a dreamworld. He stayed in that position for at least five minutes occasionally taking a slip of his drink. Fishing, drinking and women all in one photo. I will place this picture in his coffin if I out live him.

Attached Files:

8. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Ok here is my take on Team Hard Licker.
    The dy started badly for me as half way down the road I figured out I didn't have my shoes with me, just house slippers! Then when I got to Port A I discovered that the pump had quit on my bait tank and the two dozen large pinfish were mostly dead.
    We beat our way out friday and couldn't find fish. We stopped at a rig to see if anybody was hungry and about the third pop from the bottom my rod loaded up. I really didn't have any idea what was on my OTI jig as it didn't feel like a shark, snapper or aj. Much to my personal disgust when I got it up it was a 19.3 pound 32 1/2 inch jack! Went back down and had a better hookup when another angler had a hard strike on one of out hardtails. I was bowed up hard when his line took off, I guess out lines had crossed and as usual, the moving line won. (TJ, will you replace that jig under warranty?)
    The nasty jack went into first place and beat the second place fish of the exact same weight by 1/4 inch in leangth.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Bret, Betsi, Scott and Brandon are fun to fish with. I think we all enjoyed ourselves and I know we had a few laughs.
    Mr Bill, Wish you had caught us as I haven't seen you in a while. There was a lot of eyecandy around the weigh in area, on the boats and according to Brandon (who had to be drug out) in the local watering hole.

9. Pope

Pope Senior Member

It was a nice trip and we all had lots of fun. It was nice to finally meet and fish with you Jerry. Jerry is quite a fisherman and "snags" his fish by jigging down. Cool method and he accounted for most of the hook up the first day with the OTI jigs. Thanks to Bret and Betsi for putting together such a fine crew and it was nice to get on the board!

10. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Congratulations to Hard Licker team.

Snagged is one heck of fish magnet, way to go Jerry.

11. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Ok here is my take on Team Hard Licker.
    Mr Bill, Wish you had caught us as I haven't seen you in a while. There was a lot of eyecandy around the weigh in area, on the boats and according to Brandon (who had to be drug out) in the local watering hole.

Brandon must have ended up at "Sharky's". :) Sharky's is a bait rich enviroment. ;) A man can get into trouble in that place. Catch and Release is the best practice for that place.:rolleyes:

We must have just missed you guys at the weigh in. If GS wouldn't have made those two giant 24 ounce to go drinks, we might have gotten there eariler. Parking also took about 15 minutes. That place was packed. My plan was to return home Friday night. After a couple margarita's that had 12 ounces of booze in them I deceided not to hit the road until early Saturday morning.

12. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Nope, Brandon wasn't at Sharky's, I think it was the Backporch.
    Don't introduce GS to the 64 ounce mug!
    Let us know when your coming down and we'll throw some steaks on the grill for breakfast.

13. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Hey Guys, We had a great time at the Roundup. Jerry is a jigging machine..
    slight correction on Jerrys fish.. it was the first weed line we stopped at..He dropped down his Oti jig and it got hammered.. I will post a full report tomorrow.. I have rods, reels, and tackle to rewash and put up..
    Thanks to OTI for the gear. that 600 gram jigging rod is very nice. I didnt have much of a chance to try out my new spinning popper rod..

PS>. Got the boat on the trailer and noticed that my transom is shot.
    It has about 1 inch of flex. so I guess that one big wave on friday gave the Hard licker one too many licks..

14. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

Sounds like a very sucsessfull trip minus the transom. Any word on the pelagic catagories. Congrats to jerry and team hard licker.

Mr bill
    i had a feeling you were talking about gs checking out the scenery, sounds pretty damn good to me, tall margaritas and good company.

15. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Sounds like a very successfully trip minus the transom. Any word on the pelagic categories. Congrats to jerry and team hard licker.

Mr bill
    i had a feeling you were talking about gs checking out the scenery, sounds pretty damn good to me, tall margaritas and good company.

I counted 9 billfish flags flying after I got there. I would imagine more were flying before I arrived. I have no idea what was caught Saturday as I was back at home.

After I took the perfect picture, a woman in her mid thirty's was standing next to me. She said "That was kinda disgusting. Your friend should be ashamed of himself for staring at those young girls". I stood there for a couple of minutes sipping on my drink without saying anything. I turned to her and said, "That's a summary of the man's life". I caught a dirty look.

GS walked up and things got real interesting. It's amazing what a guy with a gift of gab can do to a woman. After five minutes she was ready to have his children. The line to leave Roberts Point was so long, we shook up another round of margarita's and sat on a park bench shooting the bull until it was dark.

Bret,
    A flexing transom is not good. It's also very expensive to replace properly. Sorry to hear the bad news.

16. SkeeterRonnie

Bret- if you need any "Manuel" labor/help on removing/repairing- let me know. Too hot to chase bass now! I work cheap= Corona with Lime... lol.

17. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Mr. Bill, Transoms arent that hard.. just lots of labor and itching for a few days/weeks.. The de-rigging will probably be the worst. motors, bracket, oil tanks,trimtabs,xducers, etc..

Thanks Ronnie....Not sure where I will be doing this transom job.. Probably either central or s. tex.. I am thinking that this would also be the perfect time for a repower w/ some 4 strokes.... and a big livewell in in the transom.

18. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

Fishing, drinking and women all in one photo. I will place this picture in his coffin if I out live him.

Please do. While your there, place a couple of raincoats in my pocket. I could be buried next to some hot babe.

19. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

After I took the perfect picture, a woman in her mid thirty's was standing next to me. She said "That was kinda disgusting. Your friend should be ashamed of himself for staring at those young girls". .

She sure changed her mind in a hurry. If I wasn't such a loyal husband, I'd have another notch on my belt.

Did she really say that to you? As long as I have eyes, I will look. As long as I have an imagination, I will dream. It's the touching that gets you into trouble!!!

20. SkeeterRonnie

21. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Your eyes must be going bad. If I was going hog hunting at that place the one with the arrow would be perfect.

Attached Files:

22. SkeeterRonnie

that blond sitting down stood up and took a picture of her friend that WAS there..lol. she had a white shirt and miniskirt on... darn near read her lips (when she was talking...)LOL!!!

Hog Hunting= we used to refer to that as "late night buffalo hunting" and you only won when she left your bedroom.... eeeeewwwwwww!!!