Report from Cape cod Aug 8th-15th

Discussion in 'Pelagics' started by Steve/NH, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Steve/NH

Steve/NH Junior member

Got out Monday for an all day, multiple species fishing trip. Started at Wood end in P-town for Striped bass. Caught one for the freezer at 39" but that was it. The blues had invaded so although Stripers were there, the blues won the race to the eels almost every time. At about noon we started out to Stellwagon for the Tuna search. Got there to find no action. Did a 180 and headed back to the bay where other tuna sightings had been reported. We were on a small pod of feeding tuna within 10 minutes. My buddy was up 1st as I drove the boat. 1st cast....he was tight for about 2 minutes then we thought the hook pulled...but it broke. WTF! I casted to the next pod and again was on with the 1st cast but unfortunately I saw this fish hit...He was bigger than we had bargained for. Not sure what happened but after maybe 3minutes, my 65lb flouro leader snapped. He was taking drag with ease set about 1/2. Arrrrgh!! Chased and casted into pods of pushing tuna till 4:30 with no takers....except one that I am soooo glad missed my surface plug 3 times....it was easily a 70" fish. Man was that awsome to see...but way too big for my experience and tackle.

Friday got out for one more try. Changes to an 80lb leader today. Got to the same area and found fish pushing right away and these were much smaller which was great to see. Many of these were 40-60" fish and perfect match for the gear I have. Many casts to these beauties but no takers.

For my 1st attempt I consider it a total success. Learned alot and got to feel the power of these awsome creatures. Can't wait till next time I can get out and chase them around.

2. gman

gman Senior Member

congrats I would consider that a success as well. You found the fish which is the hardest part. every cast and fish will teach you more and they will humble the best anglers with ease. A few questions ...

What were you casting and how were you working it
    Were the fish feeding or pushing water

3. Steve/NH

Steve/NH Junior member

congrats I would consider that a success as well. You found the fish which is the hardest part. every cast and fish will teach you more and they will humble the best anglers with ease. A few questions ...

What were you casting and how were you working it
    Were the fish feeding or pushing water

Day 1 (Monday)
    7' Talevera, heavy spinning rod with a Spheros 14000. Started with 65lb braid and 65lb flouro leader. 1st cast was with a Yo-zuri, hardbait, 7" mackeral pattern to a school of (i think) feeding fish. They were splashing the surface so I think that means feeding? I was just reeling and twitching the plug when he hit.

The big dog that missed 3 times was pushing water anad the lure was a Yo-zuri top water popper, silver belly, black on top.

Day 2 (Friday) same rod reel but changed the leader to 80lb Flouro and was casting an 11" pink got striper to pushing tuna all day...No feeding was found.

4. gman

gman Senior Member

Awesome .. targeting those fish up there I wouldnt recommend anything under 80 or 100. I use 130 and I get bit off all the time

Seems lately they have been focused on blue baits and lures although that could just be a co incidence. anything flashy or wormish like a Ronz or hoggy or sluggo normally works good as well

Keep up the great work and hopefully you will have a bloody deck soon.

Nice Cod BTW

5. Steve/NH

Steve/NH Junior member

Awesome .. targeting those fish up there I wouldnt recommend anything under 80 or 100. I use 130 and I get bit off all the time

Seems lately they have been focused on blue baits and lures although that could just be a co incidence. anything flashy or wormish like a Ronz or hoggy or sluggo normally works good as well

Keep up the great work and hopefully you will have a bloody deck soon.

Nice Cod BTW

Thanks. Caught her this year....45lbs on a 14oz diamond jig.

Question about pushing tuna (or feeding tuna for that matter). Whats the best way to get close to a school? We tryed sitting, motor off and just waiting to see fish but as soon as we started the motor to move in, they went down. It seemed the best way to approach them was keeping the motor running and idleing up to them very slow. Whats your experience?

6. justin080799

justin080799 Member

Tuna do not seem to like a change in pitch so keeping the engine running (idle) should be fine. I can tell you it’s different on many occasions and with these fish something that works one day may not the next. We have motored right up close when they are on a heavy feed and they don’t seem to care if you jumped in with them, maybe even take a swipe at your foot. Other days they are up and down depending on what the bait is doing etc. The main thing is if you see them most likely there are many more around but have not pushed the bait to the surface If you have the time be patient and cruise around till they come up again. We have also had luck getting in front of them and stopping as they come our way to throw at them, this is not always possible because of boat traffic etc etc. A constant heavy feed normally has birds diving for bait and or picking up scraps depending on the type of bird.The tuna feeding will be slashing through the water different than a blue or striper feed its more like a quick splash as they come up for bait , sometimes what you think are the tuna can be the herring or macs trying to flee. You are not alone when you talk about trying to get them to bite consistently, when we see fish doing what I call cruising they are normally single or with a few other fish and are not on a heavy feed they can be tough to hook up. I have never caught a cruising tuna, not that they would not take an occasional plug or better yet a live bait but I would not stay with them after numerous attempts and methods. Outside of having the appropriate gear for these fish, I believe the key is many hours in the good locations and getting to as many of those locations as you can.
    Good luck

7. Steve/NH

Steve/NH Junior member

Thanks Justin;
    That helps alot. All of what you said, was exactly what I witnessed. The fish I actually hooked up on was with a more active pod and did not seems to be as skittish. All the other pods were "crusin" and didn't seems to want anything we had to offer.

About the motor running or not....I assume the harpoon guys have the motors running or how do they get so close? Seems a steady pace at a very slow closing speed would be the best approach when there's room to do so.