360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I replace the stock washers in my Saragosa 18000 or are they sufficient enough for jigging tuna up to 100lbs?

If you suggest replacing them can you recommend which ones?

Also, if anyone has any info or link on HOW to replace them, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
FDF

·
198 Posts
Replace with carbontex from smoothdrag.com Get a small contanier of drag grease too. Put grease on both isdes of washers and wipe off extra before loading.

They go in from the top. Just remove the cap and cover, pull out watching to keep order the same. If you search here, there is a pic of the stack somewhere.

·
1,386 Posts
Should I replace the stock washers in my Saragosa 18000 or are they sufficient enough for jigging tuna up to 100lbs?

If you suggest replacing them can you recommend which ones?

Also, if anyone has any info or link on HOW to replace them, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
FDF

Replace them if you like, there's no harm. That said for fish to 100 lbs., they work fine if you stay within the rated drag of the reel. If you search the Tackle forum, there are pictures that I posted in answer to another question a few months ago. It's quite easy.

The rated drag of 44 lbs. is an empty spool number. For a nearly full spool, 17 lbs. appears to be the design target. Yes, you can crank the cap down further and get more drag but it's not the place that reel's designed to operate.

·
127 Posts
Got jerky after one Spinner Shark. I had more than 17 lbs. set but thought the reel was rated for more even with full spool.. Anyway, with Smooth Drag carbontex I've had no further problems and am using 30 lbs.with a full spool.

DL

·
Tuna Club member
879 Posts
Upgrade now and get the benefits from day 1... Carbontex drags won't gum up, jerk, skip, or break. It's a simple, cheap and permanent upgrade.

·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys. Gonna contact smoothdrag on Monday and pick up the set & grease.

How do I know if I have that faulty spool cap that burns out on heavy fish?

thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts