replacement trevala?

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by north coast, Aug 19, 2009.

1. north coast

north coast Senior Member

New trevala?
    I broke a spinning tfs58xxh trevala a few weeks ago. I also have an older tvs58xxh. The old one, the broken one, and the replacement are all different. different blanks, different guides, slightly different lenghts,and the old tvs is a monster and the stiffest of the three. My favorite. The replacement ,that I just got, Is a little longer.The blank is something new(I guess, no explanation from shimano) from the tip top down 2 guides looks like the original trevala blank,then the rest of the rod to the foregrip is a funny blue color, something I haven't seen before. There is a blue thread in the center stripe under the guides. it's a little longer than the others,and definately a little "softer" than the other 2. They also flipped the first guide, closest to the reel. I've seen this on other high end rods. I caught a bunch of big bass on this rod last night and I like it. anyone know what's up with this "new" 2 part blank from Shimano?

2. Billiam

Billiam Moderator

Did you send it in? How much did that cost? and How much softer is the rod? Rating comparing old to new. I have a travela conventional also XXH and even though its rated 60-200lb test line, I believe its more of a PE4 rod (~40lb test)

3. north coast

north coast Senior Member

Did you send it in? How much did that cost? and How much softer is the rod? Rating comparing old to new. I have a travela conventional also XXH and even though its rated 60-200lb test line, I believe its more of a PE4 rod (~40lb test)

As I said ,it was a replacement for a rod I broke.The broken rod was an f (newer) model. They run about $200.-$220. They let me cut the broken rod to save on shipping,That was 12 bucks,They shipped it back for free.
    I agree the way they rate these is screwy.I also agree and Your right on the mark with what I use this rod for. I have the reel full of 40 lb momoi. I mainly use it for chunkin' bass.I think maybe you could use this for a bit more than 40-50 lb ,but not much more.
    As for how much softer,Not a ton,but noticable. My older TVS(about 5 or so years old) is the stiffest,and it's taken a real beating without problems. I asked them when I sent in the broken TFS if they would replace it with the cheaper TVS model. what I got is this "funny" TFS. My thoughts on this are that Maybe this is something new they are using to try to address all the breakage issues they've had with these rods.

4. geyssonh

geyssonh Member

Is the model # the same on the replacement? can you post pics?