360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
last part of the article:

The Times reported that conversations fear at current fishing rates, the fish would be extinct in the wild by 2011.

we'll see about that :rolleyes:

·
2,924 Posts
Its all propaganda, are the bluefin stocks in trouble? YES are hundreds of thousands of fish seen off Cape Cod, North Carolina and other parts around the globe going to mysteriously disappear within 6 months. I think not. They are in trouble and will disappear one day just like any other species unless they are managed correctly but its not happening by 2011

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
FWIW

the high risk population level of extinction for ANY species is about 5000 individuals.
The risk at that point is not from sportfishing mortalities or harvesting , it is from the population encountering a pathogen that causes widespread mortalities and from a lack of genetic diversity in the stock to provide sufficient natural immunity within the population to such an attack .

A number of examples exist in the human population on a number of continents of the devastating impact of pathogens that a population has not developed immunity to.

That effect is caused by migration between sub-populations.
Similarly there is a risk , in a migrating population, of the population coming in contact with a pathogen that devastates them .
This is an inherent risk in migrating fish populations.

That said:
'is the Atlantic Bluefin at a stock level at or near 5000 individuals'
- No its not...........
So the allegations of high risk of extinction in the wild is Hype.

BUT
There is some evidence of distinct sub-populations with different migratory behaviour.
The NE US population is one of those groups.

'Is that sub-population at or near 5000 individuals'
- No one really knows it seems.
its very hard to estimate actual stocks of highly migratory fish that aggregate.
- because they aggregate , even when stocks ARE low...................... high catch rates and significant numbers can still be experienced where a limited number of aggregations are encountered.

Sadly, other than for the fisheries biologists actually working with the species, everyone else hypes the situation from their own perspective & that is not necessarily factual.

What has emerged from this CITES meeting is that the Hype generated by the conservation groups has been rejected.
................for now.
................'they'll be back'.

·
4,574 Posts
FWIW

the high risk population level of extinction for ANY species is about 5000 individuals.
The risk at that point is not from sportfishing mortalities or harvesting , it is from the population encountering a pathogen that causes widespread mortalities and from a lack of genetic diversity in the stock to provide sufficient natural immunity within the population to such an attack.

One of the prime examples/consequences of Genetic Bottlenecking. You sure you're not a biological conservationist, Denis?? :) Sounds like we took similar classes! Maybe I took them in a room while you took them on a boat, however :p

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
You sure you're not a biological conservationist, Denis?? :) Sounds like we took similar classes! Maybe I took them in a room while you took them on a boat, however :p

He He
I think that just about every dedicated fisher, recreational or commercial is a conservationist at some level, because when the cupboard is empty you starve.

I'm a qualified metallurgist in a previous life & educated in the school of hard knocks as a recreational & commercial fisher.

Worse than classroom or boat education, Brian.
I sit on a number of Resource assessment groups, Fishery Management C'tees , MPA working groups ...........and Species Recovery Assessment groups when things have gone too far & the really tough rules are imposed.

Lots & lots of reading , over the years to understand what the scientists are talking about & sort out the bullsh*t from facts & practical responses.
- DEPM formulae, sensitivity, survey design , stock estimate validity
- Stock Management Sustainability Evaluation formulae & assessment ,
are in my bag lately.
Good enough to hassle the project designers that make programming errors
in the population models for the MSE assessment programme.
.........Don't think the fisheries bureaucrats like fisherman that can talk the same language they do & keep them honest............:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.