360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buying a remington 870 super mag synthetic. It takes 2 3/4, 3, and 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge shells. What kind of load do you find best for shootin skeet.
Never done it before but wanna try it so. Kinda in the dark here.

·
366 Posts
Any quality shell that set up as follows:

2 3/4" and 7 1/2 shot @ ~1300fps

Winchester AA is a good choice

·
675 Posts
Buy some Winchester AA 2.75". They're cheap ($6-8 a box), typically have uniform patterns because of the hard pellets and don't kick much..

Sea Hag :) beat me to the punch...

·
485 Posts
shoot the 3;s and u wont feel ur arm haha i starting off shooting of dove loads for skeet man after bout two boxes i felt like i got in a fight, use target loads

·
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess your right but.... Im kinda slightly larger than your average adult so i'm sure I could handle a few of em'. Then again i'm not superman and I know after a while they'll catch up to me.

G

·
newkid - being bigger and miscular is a disadvantage IMO. I used to shoot clays sometimes as well.....and i think i held it so hard that i really wouldn't give at all on the recoil so my arm/shoulder took the entire force. horrible bruising when we used the monster shells.

moral of the story is just use something light, especially if you're going to be shooting 100+ shots :)

·
153 Posts
Another reason to use Winchester AA's is because the empty shells can be reloaded quite a few times. The el-cheapo dove loads you see at Academy, etc., cannot be reloaded once. Even if you don't want to reload them, I'll wager you'll encounter people at the range who do, and will buy them from you. If you get very serious about skeet and/or trap shooting, it probably won't be long before you start thinking about reloading.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts