Reintroduction and Questions About Terminal Rigging:

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Rockport Russ, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Rockport Russ

Rockport Russ Well-Known Member

Hi folks, I used to hang out here a lot and tell lies like you wouldn't believe. Also posed as an expert occasionally when I thought someone would pay attention. I suspect that most of the folks I knew back then are either dead or in insane asylums--like everyone else I ever knew! Suffice it to say after a couple of trips, I retired, moved to Rockport, and (no excuses) haven't been offshore in years. I collected a ton of tackle and am well stocked up. Just bought a new flats boat with tower and so will be doing a lot of skinny-water fishing in the coming months. (with my luck, they will figure out that redfish carry the Corona virus.)

But I am also looking to get back into a couple of offshore trips a year--maybe more. I took a couple out of Venice and one unbelievably memorable trip on the Big E with an all-star cast. Trouble is I can't remember precisely how I rigged terminal tackle for each of the offshore subdivisions--deep drop, chunking, jigging, and popping. I think I pretty much know, but would like to enhance my memory by picking y'alls brains. If no-one has any objections, I will create a thread for each major rig and solicit whatever y'all can provide. I probably haven't done all the due-diligence in searching the board that I should, but I have definitely done some and not found specifically what I am after.

Accordingly, let's start out with Deep Dropping--or what I will call "Deep", anyway--not planning to go down to the bottom in 2,000 feet of water with an electric reel powered by my own 3-phase generator! :) Rather, I'm thinking--for example--of the rigs in 400-600 feet of water we fished during the day on the Big E 72 hour trip--Big AJs and maybe a grouper or two. My gear for this will be either a Calstar 760H or 7465H with an Accurate 50W and around 800 yards of JB Hollow 130#.

My memory is that I made a loop in the braid, either with a finger-trap or, if I was feeling lazy and insecure, an old reliable 50-turn Bimini Twist.

From there, an offshore swivel knot to a humongous BB snap swivel you could tow a semi with. Bottom rigs of various sorts, from 80# to 400# mono with a big swivel on top, clip to the snap.

Please give me a reality check on that memory (At 74, I am getting to where I can pretty much hide my own Easter eggs.) All comments are welcome. Good to be back amongst y'all. Later on I plan to bother everyone with a thread on chunking connections.

Best regards,

Russ

Joda, Gonefishings and esgeo like this.

2. esgeo

esgeo Active Member

Mr. Russ,

Good stuff, but it is a workout in my mind just thinking about how heavy that “deepish drop” combo weighs even without a fish on it! I do have a 7465 ML myself and that thing has some power, so I’d imagine the H is quite capable of punishing a big fish and probably fished 80# class at the low end.

The only thing I wonder is if you can’t get by with some lighter class backing, and in turn a less heavy reel. I would think 80# gives high enough breaking strength and less resistance moving thru the water column, and less weight in aggregate. (FWIW i managed a 250# bluefin on 80# jbraid backing to 200# mono leader last year). A size 20 Makaira or maybe one of the newer accurate valiant 800 class reels would still give you plenty of drag strength. I have some old accurate reels I love (they are like the rolexes of reels to me), but they sure have come a long way in the strength to weight category over the last 5 years or so.

For terminal tackle I would pre-crimp leaders of your desired configurations to a big ball bearing swivel where you want to connect to backing, and I prefer to tie the swivel direct to braid rather than use a snap. Out in SoCal this is typically done with a “double San Diego jam”, where you double up a couple feet of the end of the braid and use the (doubled) loop end to tie the knot in the same fashion as with a single strand. The doubled end just gives more surface area for the braid to bite against.

Just my take and probably not worth any more than the paper it’s printed on, but glad to share... Look forward to where the rest of this thread goes. Cheers,
    Eric

3. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Hey Russ!
    still open for that cup of coffee?

4. Rockport Russ

Thanks everyone for your help--especially esgeo for your details. I probably will keep going with the heavy gear, simply because I've bought so much stuff over the years, I really don't want to add any more to the pile. A year or so ago, I added one of those newer Boss reels with the red trim--a 600N size--for jigging, but I hear a lot of people use them for chunking etc. these days. I doubt you would find the snaps I am thinking of as likely to be compromised, as they are twice as long as the big roach I just killed for my wife. Biiiiiiiiggggg suckers. I have a whole attic full of pre-made Reef Donkey, Grouper, Snapper, and Bee Liner rigs sold by someone whose name I should remember but don't--the logo is a long eel-like critter on a hook. Got tons of those, plus some I rigged up myself, back in the day for 3-4 pound weights on 400 pound Mono with a 12/0 Circle Hook. Crimped, with sleeves etc.

I was using one of those in (I think it was) 600 feet at an oil rig on the Big E--we would fish the floaters at night and come in toward shore in the "shallow water" during the day and bottom fish. Anyway, I had the big 50 I described with one of these suckers on the end, and one of the mates filleted about a 5-pound blue runner and put it on the hook. I hooked something that I figured was a nuclear sub, that took me straight into the rig--in spite of some god-awful drag. I handed the rod up to the upper deck and two of the mates pulled on it and yelled"WHOOOAH?) When they finally got it to the surface, there was a piece of some critter's jaw attached to the barb. They pronounced it to be some sort of giant eel. (Either they believed that or they were seriously screwing around with the old-fart's onsetting dementia.) But I guarantee it wasn't even a huge AJ. All my luck on that trip came with chunking at night and came up with some nice yellowfin.

lite-liner: Damnit, Brian, I had totally forgotten! Since we last talked I sold my old POS boat and replaced it with a 21-Foot Flats Cat with a tower about 12 feet high. I've got that sucker in the boat stack at Cove Harbor. Really neat place. I had been keeping it in a boat barn but at my age and with my incompetence at backing up, I was never going out. So I said to hell with it, put the boat in Cove Harbor, and the next day the City shut it down because of...wait for it...the CORONA VIRUS! Anyway, they may open up again on Monday. You call or use an app to tell them an hour or two in advance--they then use a humongous fork lift to put it in the water, fill the ice chests with ice, and gas it up if you want, with non-Clinton/Bush/Obama-ethanol fuel. When your'e through they wash it down, run the motor with Salt Away, and put it into the stack. Only thing they don't provide is hot and cold running chambermaids! Costs double what I was paying, but since most of my grandchildren have concluded that I am a Nazi, I figure why save it for them.

Definitely need to do some flats and jetty fishing. Again, due to my age, I am going to go it alone and do some exploring for a month or two before I go out fishing with someone else, but then...! Will definitely stay in touch. I'll send you a PM with my email and text number.

Russ

Best regards to all,

Russ

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    Gonefishings and esgeo like this.
  5. Backlash Scott

Backlash Scott Member

Welcome back Russ. I always loved your posts.

6. Rockport Russ

Thanks very much, Scott.

So let's move on to chunking. My memory is that I tied a Bimini (or simply looped the JB Hollow into itself) and looped on a Basil Wind-on leader. Beyond that, as I recall, I tied the hook on with no swivel or any other hardware, using a four-turn clinch knot (unimproved) for 60 # and a three-turn for 80 # fluorocarbon.

On this, I was able to find some discussion on this website having to do with attaching the hook. I realize that a lot of folks favor crimps only, and others advocate more exotic knots than the simple clinch. I would be interested in any light you folks can shine on that issue. I believe that most of the people I saw advocating burying a swivel along with the hook in the chunk were from the East Coast--although I could be wrong about that.

I will be honest: Being an old dog, it is hard for me to change, so I suspect I will be clinging to the Clinch knot, for everything up to and including 80 pound test (crimping 100# and up), so I would especially value anyone's opinion who actually uses or has used that in 60-80 pound line.

Best regards,

Russ

7. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

I still tie the 4-5 wrap improved clinch all the way up to 80#, at 80# flouro and bigger,
    I crimp a loop with a solid ring. Very few failures not directly caused by me.
    I've never been the guy that wants to get all creative with knots. I've missed bites because of that. the FG knot is killer, but I can be back in the water faster with my setups.
    It's a confidence thing.
    Old dogs understand that the "old" stuff doesnt quit working with every new fad.
    If you are happy with your connections, no matter what they are, stick with it!

esgeo likes this.
  8. Rockport Russ

Thanks, Brian. Agree totally about fiddling around with knots one isn’t familiar with.

Also—sent you a PM about doing some bay fishing when old Mister Corona slacks off.

lite-liner likes this.