360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

Reels comparison

5K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  rebel 
#1 ·
I'm going to compare the following spinning reels, they are all below $200, over 30 lbs of max drag & below 700 grams in weight:

- Daiwa Emblem Pro 5500a (Australian domestic model)
- Okuma Vsystem V-65Sa
- Abu Garcia Soron STX 70

I've been using the Emblem Pro for almost a year now, but the other 2 are still in the box, so I'll need some more time using them to give my opinion.

Meanwhile I'm going to talk about first impression, packaging & reel quality.

The Daiwa packaging & quality is excellent for a reel assembled in Thailand, it gets smother after 1/2 an hour of fishing (like a diesel motor, needs time to warm up!!)

The Okuma Vsystem was a total surprise!! Very nice & clean packaging, reel quality & feeling in hand is excellent.

Now this reel quality wasn't what I expected, Abu Garcia reel came in a low grade packaging, the quality of the reel is not so good, but it is the smoothest spinning reel I ever held. Its also the smallest compared to the other 2 reels.

I'll let you guys know how they perform after I get some salt on'em.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Baaahhhh!!!! Just get a Stella! Just joking.... Should be interesting. I look forward to seeing your test results.

Ok let me ask you this, excluding all & any other factors, what do you prefer, having 1 pretty girlfriend or 5 average girlfriends?? ;)

#6 ·
OK, here's my thoughts on the subject.

Once you get a fishing reel or a woman, you have to buy accessory's.
For the reels you have to buy line, a rod and maybe a rod carrier.
For the woman, you have to have clothes, shoes, makeup, food, housing and every other stinking thing know in existence. It never freaking ends and the woman also talks. The only noise that comes out of a reel is the screaming drag which is a pleasant sound.

Pure Fact:
A fishing reel is far less expensive than women.
Therefore, buy as many Stella's and equals as you desire.

A practical person would rent both a reel and a woman. :D
I always though of myself as a practical person. Now that I think about it,
I'm not practical at all.:mad:

#10 ·
Just one old jarheads opinion, and I will be interested in the results you get, but for my money I like to go for a known quality product. Stella and Saltiga are great reels even if a bit pricey, I have had to replace too many lower quality products over the years and it took me a while to realize that I should have had a few less beers at the bar and just bought good stuff from the start!:eek: As for the women.....I found after a good deal of trial and error that one REALLY good one is worth any ten average ones. (JMHO):D

#13 ·
The only thing better than some pu**y is some new pu**y.

Ok, back on topic. I have the Abu Garcia stx60 (for inshore) and I think it's a very good reel. Plus I got mine for 100 bucks. I read a tear down/review from a guy that seems to tear down and compare a lot of reels, and he thinks it's one of the best reels for the money. I just forget where I saw it now.

#14 ·

Ok, back on topic. I have the Abu Garcia stx60 (for inshore) and I think it's a very good reel. Plus I got mine for 100 bucks. I read a tear down/review from a guy that seems to tear down and compare a lot of reels, and he thinks it's one of the best reels for the money. I just forget where I saw it now.

Whats the biggest fish you caught using the STX60? Do you think it can handle 50lbs cobia or Tuna?

#15 ·

With a handle like that, we never would have guessed! ;)

#17 ·
Just a quick update on Abu Garcia Soron STX70, this reel is definitely worth the $, so far I caught more than 10 Dorado, 1 Barracuda & 1 Queen fish & the reel feels smother than new!! One problem I faced when I was fighting a 20lbs Dorado is the Anti reverse system started to fail, but I caught about 5 smaller ones after that with no problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.