360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1,095 Posts
it's a comparison between the down locking real seat and the up locking reel seat I want to know which is better ??

Amir -

Most 'retail' rods bought in stores are up-locking, but many experienced anglers choose down-locking because it is less likely to vibrate and become loose when going out on boats that generate lots of vibration.

Some anglers have lost reels because the locking mechanisms have shaken loose (on up-lock), causing the reels to fall off. Or, the reel has become loose and they did not know it was loose, until they got a big fish on the line.

It is a matter of personal choice. Me, I prefer down-lock.

I hope this helps explain the situation. Cheers!

butch

·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks so much for your reply .. my only concern is in down locking there is too much force on the upper spiral lock and I 'm afraid this can damaged it .. !! I don't know may be I'm mistaken .. what's your opinion .. ??

·
1,095 Posts
thanks so much for your reply .. my only concern is in down locking there is too much force on the upper spiral lock and I 'm afraid this can damaged it .. !! I don't know may be I'm mistaken .. what's your opinion .. ??

I am not aware of any situation where down lock has caused a problem as you describe. Perhaps some others who have used it for several years can add more to this. Many custom rod builders of hi-end rods use the down-lock method as their standard.

·
5,457 Posts

On a down locking reel seat, with enough drag you can crack the nut, however you can crack an up locking nut by overtightening. Fugi japan uses a longer locking nut to help aleviate this.

I prefer up locking on my spinning reels for more comfort and down locking on my conventionals.

d-a

1 - 7 of 7 Posts