360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

reel seat

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  sbarracl 
#1 ·
hello, I am new to this forum and find the info on here great. I was just wondering why on a jigging rod the reel seat are on backwards compared to regular rods. I am building 2 jigging rods and am at the point of installing reel seat but decided to stop till I find the reason they do this. All replies will be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
It's personal preference. But Ive found on a conventional that I tend to loosen up the reel seat if it's an up lock while speed jigging.

d-a

#3 ·
I prefer locking down from the top, but I don't think it looks as good.

With a big spinning reel, I think it is easier to maneuver the locknuts from the bottom up, but I also think they may be more prone to loosening.

Kind of 6 for one, half dozen for the other. I have seen a stella fall off its rod into the GOM when the boat was moving. That was on a reel seat that locked upwards. If that was my reel, it would probably be the last rod I would have that locked from the bottom up. Make sure you put your reels on tight and check them on occasion and you should be fine as long as the seas aren't too bad.

#6 ·
Currently wrapping 3 rods.
These will be with Lock UP.
First I have built this way
but then I have not built one in a while.
I got the idea from this forum.

K2

Fishhead, I would call those down locking. The nut is going down to lock the reel in. That's the same way I had one come loose from speed jigging. Nice wraps though

d-a

#9 ·
I agree that it is personal preference on the reel seat. One other thought, as I went through the same decision recently. If you have the threads up, you can install a rod ring on top of the threads on the seat. This will allow you to hook into a harness (not the only way to do it, but a very good way). The negative with threads up is your hands and fingers may be holding onto the threaded part of the seat. This depends on where you place you hand to hold the reel, I usually put the reel stem between my fourth and third fingers and this puts my thumb and first finger in front of the reel stem. I prefer the threads down so my thumb and fore finger are on the foam foregrip rather than the threads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.