360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed looking around on this site that many reel seats on popping rods have the tightner or whatever you call it on the top. It would seem to me that the location would be on the bottom facing the butt section and you tighten moving up towards the reel. With it installed that way, you can bring the eva fore grip further down to the start of the reel seat. It seems that it would make more sense when grabbing line to cast, it would not have to be too high thus preventing the line slipping off the spool for a bogus cast. Make sense?

·
5,457 Posts
I noticed looking around on this site that many reel seats on popping rods have the tightner or whatever you call it on the top. It would seem to me that the location would be on the bottom facing the butt section and you tighten moving up towards the reel. With it installed that way, you can bring the eva fore grip further down to the start of the reel seat. It seems that it would make more sense when grabbing line to cast, it would not have to be too high thus preventing the line slipping off the spool for a bogus cast. Make sense?

I prefer up locking for everything except jigging conventional's. However most of the high end popping rods all have down locking reel seats.

Little things like reel seat preference drove me to the custom built rods.

d-a

·
234 Posts
In spinning outfit , Lock Down is preferable because one can detect the loosening of the reel seat immediately due to our index finger or little finger are pressing down the stem of the reel . In Lock Up situation , the loosening of the reel seat may not be detected until the reel nearly fall down .

Jon .

·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In spinning outfit , Lock Down is preferable because one can detect the loosening of the reel seat immediately due to our index finger or little finger are pressing down the stem of the reel . In Lock Up situation , the loosening of the reel seat may not be detected until the reel nearly fall down .

Jon .

Good point. I saw this rod yesterday and really like this seat with the double locking nut locking upwards. Would like to see weight compariosn vs Fuji Soft Touch.

http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f74/oti-tuna-tarpon-sniper-6884/

·
5,457 Posts

Jon .

The only time I ever have a reel seat loosen is when my fingers are in constant contact with the reel seat nut.

d-a

G

·
the nut can also loosen when you're heading out on a bouncing boat. having the nut lock down helps this a lot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts