Reel recommendations

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by JerseyBrian, Apr 8, 2008.

1. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

I was going to pick up a Cabo PTs reel to use as a back-up jigging reel for my Saragosa 18000, but I was also thinking about saving up for a high gear ratio spinning reel for throwing topwater poppers and plugs :D I was wondering what you guys would recommend. I was looking at the Shimano Twin Power 8000HG, Stradic 8000FI, or try picking up a used Stella 16000 or 10000FA.

Some people have told me not to go for the Twin Power 8000HG since it has been discontinued and if I needed to get it serviced or repaired, it would virtually be impossible. Others have said that the "8000" series reels won't have enough line capacity using 65lb braid.

What do you guys think? I know Glen said that he would use the Saragosa 18000 for both jigging and popping (if it came down to it), but like most of you, I like having more toys ;) I'll be pairing this reel up with a custom OTI 7'6" 50lb Popping rod and using it for Albacore, BFT, YFT, Cubera, Roosters... I don't see myself fishing for GTs or Dogtooth's any time in the near future so I can wait a bit on picking up a Smith WRC-80P/35 Popping Special ;)

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I think you'd be fine popping with the Saragosa. True it is not quite as fast as some other reels, but it is fast enough

3. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

I think you'd be fine popping with the Saragosa. True it is not quite as fast as some other reels, but it is fast enough
    Thanks Bret, would you pick up a Cabo 80 as a back up reel?