360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at purchasing a reel to fluke fish with. I am planning on using 20lb braid so I don't have to switch the lines out on this reel. I have been looking at two different reels. One has 4.7:1 gear ratio and the other 6.1:1 gear ratio but they both claim a pick up of 30 inches per turn. I would think the first would offer more torque and the second would offer more line retrieve but this does not seem to be the case. Both reels are about the same size. I guess the difference would be in the spool size. Is there much difference in torque with these two reels? I dont know could someone enlighten me to which I should choose?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I would imagine their is not standard to determining gear ratio. So would you imagine most companies determine it with a full spool of braid?

·
815 Posts
So I would imagine their is not standard to determining gear ratio. So would you imagine most companies determine it with a full spool of braid?
Of course there is a standard for determining gear ratio, the number of main gear teeth divided by the number of pinion gear teeth. The amount of line pick up is a variable depending on amount of line on spool, spool diameter, etc. The difference in "torque" can be considerable. For most of the fishing I do, I, personally, don't really care about the inches per crank, I care about the ease of cranking. As to which reel to choose, it depends on your fishing needs. Do you need to move a lure fast or do you need to crank in a big fish or a heavy weight?

·
Retired Member
5,583 Posts
Gear ratio is the number of turns the spool turns with one full turn of the reel handle. The inches per crank for one full spool turn is based on the diameter of the spool. If a spool is full and having a 3” diameter it will bring in more line per crank than a spool at 2” diameter at the same gear ratio. Two identical reels reeling in, the reel with the more line will have more inches per crank. Hope I’m explaining myself correctly.

Benny

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Of course there is a standard for determining gear ratio, the number of main gear teeth divided by the number of pinion gear teeth. The amount of line pick up is a variable depending on amount of line on spool, spool diameter, etc. The difference in "torque" can be considerable. For most of the fishing I do, I, personally, don't really care about the inches per crank, I care about the ease of cranking. As to which reel to choose, it depends on your fishing needs. Do you need to move a lure fast or do you need to crank in a big fish or a heavy weight?
So my question arose when I was looking for a dedicated fluke reel. I was looking
My question arose when I was looking for a dedicated fluke reel. I was looking at 2 reels with one gear ratio at 4.5:1 and the other was 6.1:1 but they both pick up 30 inches of line per turn. I thought this was odd considering both reels were about the same size. So I would imagine that their would be a big difference in the spool size in width but eying it, it does not seem so.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gear ratio is the number of turns the spool turns with one full turn of the reel handle. The inches per crank for one full spool turn is based on the diameter of the spool. If a spool is full and having a 3” diameter it will bring in more line per crank than a spool at 2” diameter at the same gear ratio. Two identical reels reeling in, the reel with the more line will have more inches per crank. Hope I’m explaining myself correctly.

Benny
Thanks Benny, I do understand that but I don't understand how two reels roughly the same size with two very different gear rations have the same inches per crank or maybe it's a marketing thing I don't know.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The other reponders have given logical reasons for the varied line uptake. You state that the reels are "roughly" the same size. Unfortunately, the reel numbering and sizing conventions are not standardized. So, you would need to compare the exact same model in the two different gearing ratios. Otherwise, you're comparing apples to oranges.

·
815 Posts
Plus, where you are getting your information might have an error in the inches per turn. What reels are we talking about?

·
Retired Member
5,583 Posts
Thanks Benny, I do understand that but I don't understand how two reels roughly the same size with two very different gear rations have the same inches per crank or maybe it's a marketing thing I don't know.
The higher ratio reel has to have a smaller diameter spool (spool height) than the lower ratio reel.

Benny

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just got home and the penn fathom 8 was sitting in my mailbox. This reel does seem to be smaller then the accurate tern 300. This reel is tiny. I wish I had a tern 300 to sit it next to. My buddy has one. Maybe I will take some photos to compare them in size.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
By no means am I comparing these two reels but in line capacity they appear the same on paper and that is the shimano ocea jigger 1000 and the Penn fathom 8.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its not that Im concerned about gear ratios or line capacities. Its that Im trying to learn and figure out how two reels with two very different gear ratios have the same line pickup. Not interested in a spinning reel for this application and I already have a penn slammer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts