360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am desperately in need of a new surf setup for stripers. That being said, I pretty much have my mind made up on the rod, a 10' custom Lami super surf. I understand that Van Staal is the best of the best for surf reels, but I really have no desire to spend that kind of money on a surf reel. I can justify that kind of money on my Stella 20k that I use for tuna, but certainly not for striped bass that frequently won't exceed 20#, and that's if I'm lucky. I really don't plan on taking the reel for a swim, so the whole "dunkability" thing is moot in my eyes. Primarily I'll be tossing from the beach, no uneven jetty's and no wading in.

What do you guys recommend for a reel? I'd like to keep it under $300 if possible, and if I could get down around $200 that would be even better. I have a few on my mind, Shimano Saragosa and Daiwa Saltiga. Either of those I'd immediately change the drag out for Carbontrex and some cal's grease. Are either of those decent options? What size should I go with? I'm really leaning towards the Saltist with a drag washer upgrade and grease because I'm digging the colors and it's going to match my rod perfect, but function comes before aesthetics.

Thanks in advance.

·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm reading alot of good stuff here on the Saltist STT6000H At a price of $220, it seems super reasonable.

·
4,723 Posts
I'm reading alot of good stuff here on the Saltist STT6000H At a price of $220, it seems super reasonable.

I am not sure if you need such a big reel for casting from the beach all day... I would think the 4500 size would be plenty for stripers in the NE.

·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not sure if you need such a big reel for casting from the beach all day... I would think the 4500 size would be plenty for stripers in the NE.

I mainly was looking at as a size versus castability idea. From what I'm reading, people are saying the larger ones cast better. You're right though, I could probably step down to a 4500 or 5000.

Any input on the Saltist?

·
170 Posts
I have used sustains and stradics, and they work very well, infact i still use a 6k sustain and it holds up brilliantly. But its gonna be hard now being that I have a 5k stella sw and a 10k stella sw......

·
4,723 Posts
I mainly was looking at as a size versus castability idea. From what I'm reading, people are saying the larger ones cast better. You're right though, I could probably step down to a 4500 or 5000.

Any input on the Saltist?

The 4500 is smaller than the 5000 saltist. The 5000/6000/6500 saltists are all the same size with different spool capacities. The 4500 would be the next step down in actual physical size. The saltist would probably get the job done for ya.

·
553 Posts
Spheros is all you need and you don't even have to change to carbontex to catch stripers. I use Sedona 4000 & 6000 to catch big stripers up to 30lbs.

·
214 Posts
Buy a 8000 or 10000 stella, you can justify the price because the reel would work great on a lighter jigging or popping set up too. They are fairly well sealed and can handle the surf well.

·
1,323 Posts
I use my stella 5 or 8k for the surf and haven't had any problems. That being said, I hardly ever wade out to the rocks at Montauk anymore so the reel was never really dunked. I also have a Saltiga Surf 5500 that casts like a dream, light as heck and thanks to you just remembered that I have it. I think I've used it twice or 3 times at best but find it very enjoyable. No need for carbontex in that either.

Hmmm.....look for the Saltiga up for sale soon right in your price range:p

·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The 4500 is smaller than the 5000 saltist. The 5000/6000/6500 saltists are all the same size with different spool capacities. The 4500 would be the next step down in actual physical size. The saltist would probably get the job done for ya.

Now THAT'S something I haven't read. They made 3 of the same size reels with 3 different spool sizes? Why wouldn't you just get the 6500 and call it a day?

A 10000SW stella is also much to big for striped bass. I'm going to keep browsing a bit and see what I can come up with. I probably should just wait till something nice used comes up, probably get a better deal.

G

·
a 6000baitrunner will be just fine as well especially if you do plan on fishing bait at all. the baitrunner feature is very nice. a striper isnt gonna blow that reel up. unless youre fishing the surf a couple times a week and the reel gets a ton of abuse, theres not reason to spend hundreds of dollars on a striper/bluefish/false albacore reel.

·
870 Posts
Daiwa Emblem would be my pick. The spool design will let you cast further than other spinners in the same size. Check out the sport model, it's under $100 and would be plenty for big bass and blues.

·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's enlightening to see that others feel that spending big money on a striper reel is overkill. I'm going to have to do some more research on the other ones mentioned, clearly.

·
220 Posts
if your serious about a spinner.. assuming you will be plugging, and you are considering the new Saltist spinner, take a look at the Excellr XT series. I just sold a 4500 Excelor combo w/ a Cedros rod for like $130.00.

If you will be chunking bait, Saltist 20H conventional reel and a OM heavy or Break Away HDX + spooled w/ 17lbs Suffix Tri and 40/50lbs Suffix Superior shock leader. JMHO

G

·
It's enlightening to see that others feel that spending big money on a striper reel is overkill. I'm going to have to do some more research on the other ones mentioned, clearly.

my dad and i have used baitrunners, old jigmasters and newells for stripers and bluefish for a long time. the tld 20 is the fancy reel for those fish. not once have i felt like i didnt have the tools for the job. id save the few hundred dollars that youd spend on the fancy reel and go on another tuna trip or something.

·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
my dad and i have used baitrunners, old jigmasters and newells for stripers and bluefish for a long time. the tld 20 is the fancy reel for those fish. not once have i felt like i didnt have the tools for the job. id save the few hundred dollars that youd spend on the fancy reel and go on another tuna trip or something.

That's exactly what I want to do. The rod this reel is going on is a 10' Lamiglas Super Surf SS10MHS, either custom or production, I'm still up in the air. I have good leads on both. I'm learning to buy gear once, and buy it right. You end up losing money if you do it any other way.

·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess another thing to consider, if I get something from Shimano when I send in my Stella and Torium for service, I can throw this in too. Super convenient.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts