Reel for jigging

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by first catch, Sep 23, 2009.

1. first catch

first catch Senior Member

What's a good reel for around $450 that would be primarily a jigging reel but used for bottom fishing as well? A friend is getting a new reel and I believe he wants higher drag capabilities as well. Would Accurate be the best for this?

2. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

Saltiga 40 with carbontex would be my choice.

3. toppuntawong

toppuntawong -- Tackle Ho --

One vote for Accurate!

4. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

Lever Drag: Accurate BX2 series
    Star Drag: Daiwa Saltiga series

Whichever you prefer. Saltiga will be a little less expensive.

5. Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler Site Sponsor

J/M PE4 13.9 oz - great for bottom fishing and if a #150 tuna happens along not a problem either

6. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

saltiga is a sweet reel i use the 30T and 50 both have the same drags.

7. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

I just bougth two John Baker reels..very smooth there hand made & they look & feel like it..

8. egluck

egluck Senior Member

Yes, comes down to whether you prefer lever or star.

9. jig

jig Senior Member

For an all around reel for jigging AND bottom fishing, I would want a 2speed. I have a B2-665W that does double duty, and it is just about the only reel I use anymore except for casting topwaters or very deep drop. I got it because I wanted an all around go-to reel, light weight, heavy drag right line capacity. I use the wide only because I fish partyboats and want a long topshot of mono. THe only problem I have w/ the Accurate is the damn preset knob won't stay preset!

Therefore, I am waiting to see the new Avet Raptor. If it does what I hope it will do, I may be trading in the Accurate.

10. MJ4

MJ4 Senior Member

JM PE4.Its the size of my fluke/blackfish reels and ive seen it handle 175lb BFT with ease.It will be the next reel I purchase and ill use it for inshore bottom fishing and tuna jigging.

11. first catch

Thanks for replies! This might be a stupid question, but how easy are the JM reels to get serviced in the US?

12. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I select jigging reels for my shop and I carry JM PE4/5, Accurate, TN40/50 and Satiga 30T/40/50

13. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Thanks for replies! This might be a stupid question, but how easy are the JM reels to get serviced in the US?
    My reel man opened about 50 JM reels and upgraded them. Where will be any issue at all as I get parts from JM. Every single JM reel has its unique serial number and I provide after service for the reels I sell and I charge a reasonable fee for the service on the JM reels not sold by me.

I am going to test JM PE4 and PE4 for grouper out of NC tomorrow and I'll give the review of the reels.

14. first catch

Thanks ksong, I'll definitely be waiting for that report soon!

15. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Thanks ksong, I'll definitely be waiting for that report soon!
    I am leaving soon. The best way is you experiment reels yourself.
    On the Scat Cat trip, I saw Mike was jigging with a Torsa reel with 7 oz Metalic Sardine jigs. I let him use my PE5 reel/500g custom JM rod with 12 oz jigs. As soon as he jigged with my setup, he said 'wow'. It is much easier to jig with JM5 reel with 12 oz jig than Torsa with 7 oz jigs.
    No explanation is necessary. :)

16. stresst

stresst Senior Member

My reel man opened about 50 JM reels and upgraded them. Where will be any issue at all as I get parts from JM. Every single JM reel has its unique serial number and I provide after service for the reels I sell and I charge a reasonable fee for the service on the JM reels not sold by me.

I am going to test JM PE4 and PE4 for grouper out of NC tomorrow and I'll give the review of the reels.

Kil,

I got your pm, cant wait to here about the JM4. I will call you next week.

17. first catch

I am leaving soon. The best way is you experiment reels yourself.
    On the Scat Cat trip, I saw Mike was jigging with a Torsa reel with 7 oz Metalic Sardine jigs. I let him use my PE5 reel/500g custom JM rod with 12 oz jigs. As soon as he jigged with my setup, he said 'wow'. It is much easier to jig with JM5 reel with 12 oz jig than Torsa with 7 oz jigs.
    No explanation is necessary. :)

That's awesome. I just started going to college in Virginia and am trying to make a trip to the coast eventually and try out some of these reels... next thing is being able to afford this stuff lol.

18. Rainbowrunner

Rainbowrunner Fishing Guru

I do pretty well and still have trouble affording it myself, especially if you have other hobbies like children, college funds and golf. Hell, I have golf clubs that cost 400 bucks a stick. But, being hooked on buying fishing gear beats the heck out of a lot of other stuff. I still don't have a Stella though. I guess I ain't there yet!
    Where can you buy a JM conventional reel in the Houston area? I've never used one and would at least like to hold one before I laid down 4 bills on one.

Dale

[/I]That's awesome. I just started going to college in Virginia and am trying to make a trip to the coats eventually and try out some of these reels... next thing is being able to afford this stuff lol.

19. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

you cant...........no one has them here as far as a store. some guys may have them and you could go over and check it out.

20. cbaker77

cbaker77 Site Sponsor

Dont forget about the trinidad 40n. Very good reel for the money and tough as nails especially with the carbontex drags. I have beat mine up pretty bad with big ajs, tuna, grouper and she is still ticking.

21. private pilot

private pilot Junior member

Anyone know if the JM PE5 is louder than the Penn Torque 200?