Reel for jigging.

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by SSFIREMSN, Aug 15, 2009.

1. SSFIREMSN

SSFIREMSN Senior Member

Well I am trying to figuire out what would be best for a good jigging reel. I am looking for something that is inexpensive but can handle a big fish. I have been looking at saltist but I am worried that it will not handle a big fish. Saltiga are expensive. Does anyone have any Ideas. I have a penn 9500ss that I use for popping but the rod I have is a little heavy for jigging. Or would a good jigging rod work more to what I need? If so what is a good one that is short and sturdy and priced right. Thanks Steve

2. Gitnbit

Gitnbit Junior member

Looking foreward to rubbing elbows at the rail with you on the Scat Cat. I am impressed with the Saltigafor the money-good power-light and comes spinning or conventional for about 140.00. they make jigging and popping. I got mine at Roys in Corpus. Mike

3. SSFIREMSN

SSFIREMSN Senior Member

Can not wait to meet you. We are going to have some fun. Steve

4. SSFIREMSN

SSFIREMSN Senior Member

What is the difference between the Trevala tvs and tfs rods ?

5. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

F series has SiC guides and a little different rod action... But forget Trevala unless you're looking for a snapper/inshore rod. No backbone to handle big fish. No model in the lineup will like handling more than 12lbs drag.

Depending on line size and capacity needed I'd look for a like new used:
    1) Penn Baja Special $150-$200
    2) Trinidad 40N $250-$350
    3) Saltiga 30T/40 $250-$350

Saltiga jigging rods have good action, and they are really nice thick-wall, durable blanks, with Alconite guides. But the epoxy used over the wraps is suspect. Maybe they've addressed this recently but do a search and you'll see several cases (me included) that experienced this. Worst case is that guides may need to be removed and re-wrapped one day. They have heavier models now than the 5'11" MH that I have that should be good for bigger fish, I just haven't personally seen them.

But it's really, really tough to beat OTI for just a little more $. There have been several used ones for sell, Paul708 had a deal on customs, and TackleDirect had the G2 on sale all around $200. An OTI with SiC guides, lifetime warranty and PERFECT customer service is a NO-Brainer compared to anything anywhere near this ballpark.

Good luck in your search!

Jason

6. SSFIREMSN

SSFIREMSN Senior Member

So the Trevala xxh58 is not a good rod? Line rated 80-200?

7. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

This an older photo by a friend of a good fisherman pulling on a 85 lb plus YFT in the GOM. The fish was landed in about an hour the rod was a Trevela.
    One other Old Dude and Deckhand had gave out prior to this man getting it done.

The rod! not the fisherman had troubles lifting this fish while at circles.

PS. Same night I learned high gears are too tough to work to lift good size tuna after burning out my arms prior on 3 other YFT and 20+ BFT. :mad:
    Look for equipment that helps angler not the fish...

Just sayin.
    Kev

Attached Files:

8. gman

gman Senior Member

Look for equipment that helps angler not the fish...

Great advice Kev

9. north coast

north coast Senior Member

So the Trevala xxh58 is not a good rod? Line rated 80-200?
    The line ratings shimano put on the trevalas has been called into question many times. Put what you want through the guides ,but whatever you may want to target that you'd need 200 lb line for, the trevala won't handle. Don't get me wrong, trevala is a good rod. I own 4 of them and I love them for certain things.They have their place, but you wouldn't find me targeting anything much over 50-60 lbs with them.

10. SSFIREMSN

SSFIREMSN Senior Member

Thanks for the info. If you were going for 100lb yft what rod would you use and try to suggest one on the cheaper range. Steve

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I would say the heaviest Trevala rod XXH58 is rated to 250g rod. Then you can compare the Trevala XXH rod with other Japanese jigging rods.

12. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I would say the heaviest Trevala rod XXH58 is rated to 250g rod. Then you can compare the Trevala XXH rod with other Japanese jigging rods.

Good point Ksong. That is consistant with the weight class of their jigs.

I wish shimano would build a beefier Trevalla. I really like their rods within their capabilities. That TC 4 rodblank technology seems pretty amazing. I bend the trevalla into a pretzel and down through the reelseat and it just catches fish.

13. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I wish shimano would build a beefier Trevalla. I really like their rods within their capabilities. That TC 4 rodblank technology seems pretty amazing. I bend the trevalla into a pretzel and down through the reelseat and it just catches fish.
    I have no doubt Shimano introduces heavy jigging rods in the near future as they did outside of the US. They might think US fishermen are in infant stage of jigging and need to educate before they sell right stuffs. :)

14. north coast

Thanks for the info. If you were going for 100lb yft what rod would you use and try to suggest one on the cheaper range. Steve

You might look at OTI. not really Cheap ,But definately not expensive either for what you get.really nice rods. My buddy just bought a hopper that seems pretty sweet for the money. The guides are not the best, but will get you by,and the price is right.

15. SSFIREMSN

SSFIREMSN Senior Member

I looked at charkbait and saw a Okuma Cedros jigging rod and was wondering if anyone had tried one of these and how were they. The price was real nice. Steve

16. north coast

I looked at charkbait and saw a Okuma Cedros jigging rod and was wondering if anyone had tried one of these and how were they. The price was real nice. Steve

I looked at these .They're very handsome rods, But I found them very light for my liking. Not anything I'd put against fish much over 50 lbs.Again,If your on a really tight budget, look at the hopper spinning rods.

Also, I saw some rods that Jandh closeouts had on ebay, From accurate,(Not sure if it's the same accurate as the reels we love), but the description of these rods sounded interesting,and the price was right .Anyone have the lowdown on these rods?

17. AndyP

AndyP Member

may be expensive, but when you have a 150+ lb. bft hooked, broken rods and reels are more expensive in terms of opportunity. After all, how many times does one get hooked up with such fish? The last thing you want to be thinking about is a shattered rod or burnt out drag if you have a big fish on. Just my 2 cents. I do not have as much experience as many on this forum and certainly do not know all of the optimal jigging rod and reel combos, but this on has a good shot at getting the job done. It would be a shame to hook a 73"+ bft and have a very limited chance at landing it.

18. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

A guy that fished with us on the scat cat on the first trip had an Cedros jigging rod.
    I was really checking it out and watched him catch about a 45# aj on it with no problem.
    They have them at Roys in corpus for around 100 bucks. The only thing I am not sure about is the guides. But for 100 bucks it might be worth a shot.
    They do look nice...

19. papio

papio Senior Member

As SpecialK mention on another thread, you might consider the SeaMagic Jigging rods. I don't own one but have fondle the 600g and it's pretty strong.