Reel Drag Specs.

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Copenny2, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Copenny2

Copenny2 Junior member

I'm looking for some info on reel drag specs. I thought that I saw a posting where someone had the ratings of how much drag certain brand reels would have. Maybe I overlooked it. Can anyone provide me with some guidance on this? Thanks.

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

it depends on which reel. there isn't a "formula" so to speak.

3. Copenny2

Copenny2 Junior member

I've read about using the scales to measure the drag. Basically I'm looking for how much drag the manufacturer says any reel should produce. I saw a posting either on this site or another one that someone listed the drag ratings for a couple of Penn conventional reels. Just trying to figure out if my setups will be able to handle some offshore action next month.

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah i dont know of a site or table where someone compiled data about different reels' max drag. some manufacturers publish it, some don't.

but yes when i set my drags for fishing, i use a scale - other than when fishing inshore for smaller fish.

5. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

I have a document that has drag setting for most of the Shimano salt water reels I can send you via email. I can't remember where I found it but most likely on Shimano site.