Reel Comparison and Recommendation

Discussion in 'Reels' started by RevPDP, Oct 24, 2020.

1. RevPDP

RevPDP Well-Known Member

A head boat is recommending these reels for some of their trips:
    Shimano Trinidad / Torium 20 or 30
    Shimano Talica 2 16
    Daiwa Saltist 40

While I haven't ruled any of these out, I'd like to know which other reels are comparable in size and performance to these? I'm considering the Daiwa Saltigas (Lever or Star), Avets, Accurates, etc. Which sizes and models I should be looking at? It'll be spooled with 50# braid and used for bottom fishing. TIA

jon holsenbeck likes this.
  2. Tarpun

Tarpun Junior member

Looks like Capt Gregs from the YC list. IMHO you can't go wrong from his recommendations. He has seen what holds up and what doesn't. That doesn't mean those are the only reels that will work. If you need to acquire reels for the trip any of those should fill the bill for Tortugas and mutton trips. Penn USA, Baja and older Penn 113H(no china ones) will do the job but larger and heavier than necessary. Penn and Okuma make reels that will work well also. I'm sure some of the YC veterans will chime in. Get the meal plan, spend time on the rail watch, listen, and learn. Relax and enjoy the trip.

3. putter

putter Active Member

I'd pick Penn FTH25NLD2 with 500yds/65# ProSpec.

Hands down the best value for a medium frame 2-spd lever drag reel. IMO, it gives up nothing in performance versus reels costing twice as much. Stainless steel main and pinion gear, Dura-Drag washers, thrust bearing, and a double dog ratchet anti- reverse. All for $260 retail.

If I want to spend a lot more money and need shiny things, I'd get either the TRQ25NLD2 or Accurate DX2-500 (a very distant second place option).

Disclaimer: I like shiny things.. :D

Dobhar-Chu likes this.
  4. putter

putter Active Member

Almost forgot. If I wanted a star-drag reel it would be the Trinidad 20a.

5. NicoJones

NicoJones Member

I have Stellas and 1 Diawa, I have heard that Diawa does not have good customer service, one of my friends sent his Saltiga in and they lost it for 3 months, a tackle store I know always has bad service from their Diawa reps when it comes to manufacturing defects. I will stick with the Shimano lines just to avoid bad customer service issues.

RevPDP and lite-liner like this.
  6. Tidetraveller

Tidetraveller Senior Member

I mostly use Shimano OJs and Accurates. But, I’ve been very happy with the Torium 16 PG (4.6:1). i bought it as an inexpensive backup reel and couldn’t be happier with it. Basil spooled it with JB 40# solid and it took 700 yds.

I’ve used it on tilefish, barrel’s, wreck fish and rosies out deep with up to 3# of lead with no issues. The fact that it comes with an OJ style T knob makes all the difference.

To be completely clear, it isn’t my go to reel. Love my OJs and Accurates, but I’ll bring it with me on my January YC trip as a backup. For under $230 it has the capacity and the drag to get the job done.

7. redgarvey

redgarvey Member

Can not go wrong with Daiwa Saltiga. I have the 10-12 year old versions, dependable & easy to work on. Upgrade drags to Carbontex & smear of Cals reel grease

for 50# recommend the star drag Saltiga 30T or 40
    Saltiga 50 was too wide for my liking

JDM Saltiga 'Z' version has the 'auto-engage' when you turn the handle in free spool

mentioned above Shimano Ocea Jigger 4000 is perfect for 50/60#
    OJ 5000 maybe little big for 50#

Avet HXJ if you lever drag fan

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    NicoJones and Salty Bones like this.
  8. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

Saltiga sa 30t-50
    Saltiga 30-50
    Saltiga lever drag 2 speed 20-50
    Trinidad 16n/na - 30
    Accurate valiant single or 2 speed 300-600nn

accurate tern 300-500

Penn torque single or 2 speed 30-40

I mean you can kinda get the idea . The good reels cost about 500 bucks new or can be had for less . Simple . Just message me .

I for one use Saltiga as my bottom reels exclusively and Ocea jigger as my jigging reels exclusively.

9. bnz

bnz Just a guy who likes to fish

Maxel Oceanmax 08 or 09 is what I’d use for jigging and bottom fishing. Stronger drag and long handle arm giving you plenty of torque so you don’t even need two speed. Have used mine to reel up from 600’-900’ no probs, even an 80 LB aj from 600’. :eek: Or for bottom fishing I use my alutecnos gorilla 12C. 40 lbs of drag and the thing is a winch when getting those fish up off the bottom.

Not on your list but great alternatives.

10. Tunanorth

Tunanorth Senior Member

Fundamental difference between the star drag and 2-speed lever drag models.
    As noted by Putter, in the general line capacity sizes listed, the Penn Fathom FTH25NLD2 or slightly larger FTH30LD2 are about the best "bang for the buck" out there. They perform best with 50 or 65-pound braid.
    If you want something bigger or with a larger line capacity, the Fathom FTH40NLD2 is still relatively light for the amount of line it holds. It would usually have 80 pound braid installed, but if you want a ton of 65, that would also work.
    If you like shiny things like Putter does, the Torque series has equivalent size/capacity models.

11. Dobhar-Chu

Dobhar-Chu Active Member

I have three of the fathom two speeds, the first was a giveaway (40 size) on a trip and I put 65 spectra on it and fished it with 50 lb fluoro. The reel was quite impressive, I heated it up twice pretty good on a few big ones... it did well, especially since it is the first, yes the first Penn reel I would say worked well right out of the box. I am used to having to work a Penn for a few hours before it's acceptable freespool and drag smoothness.... Not with this. Although after I got home from that trip I did wet the drag washers with cal's star drag grease as well as cleaned out the bearings of any grease in them. I bought two more after that trip, a 15 and a 60. They both are excellent for the price. The 60 is a fast cranker at 5:1 high gear and 2.5:1 low gear. The reel has 80 spectra on it and it is an excellent deep water yo-yo jigging reel and will probably replace my TN50 as a wahoo jig reel. Ill try the fathom 60 for wahoo jigs (Raider 125) in april when i go down south...

All of the fathom reels worked good out of the box (Hard to believe Penn has woken up) and were excellent after bearing clean up and some grease on the drags.... very smooth drags even after major work outs on some healthy Tuna and two yellowtail... So yes, they got hot and were not grabby at all...

After the bearings were stripped of the grease they were lubed with TSI 321 and spun on a dremel at 8000 RPM's for an hour, flushed and recleaned with Non chlorinated brake cleaner. a drop of TSI 321 re-applied and I love it.... excellent performance.

All three fathoms were exceptional reels at a very competaetive price. I am going to get one more of them, a 30 I think...

Very smart reel

D-C

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    jon holsenbeck and RevPDP like this.
  12. mandaragat

mandaragat Member

Is it allowed to talk about Chinese made reels here? If Penn, we should be talking about Torque.

13. RevPDP

RevPDP Well-Known Member

I’m looking at the Saltiga 35 or 40 Star Drag or Lever Drag. Again it’ll be for bottom fishing in the gulf up to 400 ft.
    Will this size work with 50# braid and weights from 8-12oz.?
    Should I consider the lever drag version? It has a 2 Speed option which is nice feature.

14. RevPDP

RevPDP Well-Known Member

I have a Trinidad 16 that I love and will use for slow pitch jigging. But I am wondering how the Trinidad’s compare to the Saltigas?

15. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

Get the 40a or be patient and wait for the 2020 to release and get a 35 or 40 2020 new one. Don’t get a 35h trust me I just sold one here . For what you’re looking to do you want the 40a or lever drag 2 speed 35 or 40 .

RevPDP likes this.
  16. RevPDP

RevPDP Well-Known Member

Are the Saltiga 40, OJ 4000 and Avet HX comparably sized. I like them all. I don’t want to be undergunned, but neither do I want to fish a reel that’s too big for the application.

17. RevPDP

RevPDP Well-Known Member

Can you elaborate on how to determine which is right, star vs lever?

18. Dobhar-Chu

Dobhar-Chu Active Member

I Own the the Avet HX, HXW, and HXJ Raptors and could not be more
    Pleased. The HXW raptor is a 3 speed large spool with 5.4:1 retrieve rate In High gear And is capable of forty plus smooth lbs of drag with margin...

most powerful reels for their size I know...

D-C

NicoJones and RevPDP like this.
  19. RevPDP

RevPDP Well-Known Member

I have the MXL Raptor that is NIB. I intended to take it on long range trip out of San Diego but changed plans last minute. I’m looking to put it through its paces... but I’m being told it may be a bit on the small side though it weighs about 22oz. Most are recommending the HX which I find to be BIG.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  20. Dobhar-Chu

Dobhar-Chu Active Member

The raptors are engineering marvels

D-C