Reel capacity

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by mak1, Jul 15, 2020.

1. mak1

mak1 Active Member

Hi
    I got a real from a shop that was spooled up for me. It was a makaira 50sea (not wide)
    What I know is I asked for 600m of 100lb Jerry brown

When it came it had Hollow ace on.
    The shop got my order mixed up but with been in the UK I decided to just roll with it as it seems reasonable stuff.
    I have room left for a 100m Topshop of 1.2mm mono & a 90m spool of 130lb Hollowace. This fillls the reel comfortabley level most to the top. Would you have any idea how much 100lb HA I would have on the bottom as I did ask for 600m do you think I would have that with Holloway been a bit thicker than JB.
    SO WHAT I THINK I HAVE
    100m of 1.2mm mono (I have added)
    90m HA 130lb (I have added)
    600m HA 100lb from shop ???

What's your thoughts

2. Kim

Kim Senior Member

The ACe HC braid will lay flatter than the #100 JB solid however I would shoot Basil off the forum here and ask him. He spools reels as part of his business and can probably give you a better answer.

lite-liner and kellerman2006 like this.

3. mak1

mak1 Active Member

Hi I have asked basil and he just said set someones to unspool my reel and re do it for me the problem is I can't get it done in the UK

4. Kim

Kim Senior Member

Someone in the UK has got to have a line winder with a counter. Send it to Basil if you can't find someone in the UK.

5. Tidetraveller

Tidetraveller Senior Member

+1 for Basil! It will be done right and you will be very happy with the result.

6. mak1

mak1 Active Member

I don't see that been cost effective with p&p and cost of doing it a few in UK but non with a counter on

Most people are 15 years behind in tackle and only a few of us go for big stuff and use hollow core

For the cost in checking it would work out almost half the price of buying a extra reel

7. Kim

Kim Senior Member

Then just take it to the local soccer stadium and walk it off.

8. Observer

Observer Member

LOL. I think the Brits and the Europeans get upset if you call it "soccer". They prefer to call it "football".

9. mak1

mak1 Active Member

Lol it don't bother me chaps I hate it rugby is much better

a1flyfishr likes this.
  10. a1flyfishr

a1flyfishr Retired Member Supporting Member

It’s work but you can rig a empty spool to a drill. Strip you line onto the spool using a line counter or use the line counter when you reel it back on the reel. You really need to put pressure on the line reeling it back otherwise you may not get it to all fit back and your line will dig in when you’re reeling in under drag.
    https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/ber...VBP_jBx0_TAsQEAQYAyABEgISZvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Benny