360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so this is asking alot from you guys, but here it goes. (hope theres some mathmaticians in the audience)

How much 100lb jb hollow can I fit on a reel that holds 440 yds of 80lb mono, while still leaving room for say 200 yds of 80lb momoi diamond mono. Again same question, only this time with 130lb hollow jb instead of 100lb hollow.

Thanks in advance

G

·
formulas are somewhat unreliable. you more or less have 240yds of 80lb mono left with a 200yd topshot. my guess is at least 500 yds of 80lb braid, and maybe 400-425 of 100lb.

just rough estimates, but with 600+ yds of line on you should likely be fine unless you have very light drags and hook a monster.

·
1,105 Posts
Bret: Not saying anything about Accurate's calculator, but whenever I have looked at that data in the past, I have always hoped their gears turn out better than their estimates. Here is an example:

The diameter of .22 is given for both 30 pound mon and for 150 pound Spectra--with the ATD 12 holding 550 yards of either. Well, I have my ATD 12 loaded to the brim with 130 JB, and I mean rolled on TIGHT!!!!! But when we were dropping down in a measured depth of water less than 130 yards, I played out half the line on my spool.

So me always think that data no workee for ca ca.

Russ

·
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL Thanks guys. So apparently ive stooped to hijacking my own thread... but on a side note, what size super mutu circle hooks do you recomend for 150lb and under YFT ?

G

·
ooops sorry Bret:cool:

hahaha no need for sorry, i agree theyre probably not that accurate, just a guess on my part :)

UR - I agree about that calculator likely not being that accurate. it was just a quick one i found.

i would just eyeball the reel, esp with that much mono on top.

·
1,105 Posts
newkid: I have used super-mutus almost exclusively in chunking or live-baiting for tuna on three trips. Overall, I have managed 6 YFT, (two each trip) from 40-75 pounds. I used the SM 4/0 exclusively on my first 2 trips/4 fish and suffered no pulled hooks. On the July 3-6 trip, I used ringed SM hooks instead, and started out with the ringed 6/0. I successfully hooked and landed the first bite--a small fish of about 40 pounds. I then, over the course of a day and a half, had 4 bites, 3 of which were on chunks and 1 on a dead flyer--all of which I failed to get a good hookup on--or pulled the hook in the first few seconds of the hit. The most likely cause of these failures was that I didn't give the fish enough time to run against freespool before sliding the lever forward. Can't know for sure.

In any case, I then switched to a 4/0 ringed hook, and hooked and successfully brought to gaff another small fish--about 60 pounds this time.

I know Captain Eddie in Venice (as well as a lot of others) do not like offset hooks because they feel that they get down in the gullet of the fish and get hooked into soft tissue from whence they pull out. Who knows--maybe that happened to me on this trip when it never did before.

I THINK I am correct that Dennis Braid said on his site that he uses 8/0 circles for the giant YFT of the Pacific. (I keep a few of those in my kit just in case a 400 pounder navigates the Panama Canal and swims northward. :) ) But my gut reaction, based on limited experience would be that the 5/0 or 6/0 might be ideal for the size fish you mention.

Russ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts