360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some input on 3 different reels. I fish out of S.E. Texas, in the Gulf, and need a reel for grouper, AJ's, etc....... Looking at these 3: Penn 340 GTi, Ocean Master 25C, and Okuma Soltera SLR 20L. Any input on these reels?

·
856 Posts
I have a Penn 320 GTI and it is a great reel. I have had it for about 12 years. 2 months ago I sent it to Penn to be serviced and It's like new again. I have really abused it over the years and it held up great. I caught a 45 lb. bull on it a while back.

·
2,030 Posts
Drags for dolphin and grouper are entirely two different things. Dolphin you let run and the drag wears him down, you let a grouper run and you won't get to even see the fish. 2 seconds and he is home for good most of the time.

·
856 Posts
I was fishing lite drag and 20 pound mono. With the 340 he could load it up with 40 or 50 mono and crank down on the star and i think it would be a great grouper reel.

·
2,030 Posts
He can do as he pleases but I wouldn't go grouper fishing with a graphite reel. Its like going to a gun fight with a knife.

·
659 Posts
You will be a whole lot happier and safer going to penn torque 200/300 or something of that class. Star drag models are not that expensive and will far outperform anything you have listed. A truely big grouper or AJ is not going to play games, go at them with the drags hammered down and don't blink or the fight will be over before it even starts!

·
138 Posts
I second the Torque 200 for grouper. I switched from an older Penn Formula lever drag to a Torque 200, and the improved drag greatly increased my catch rate. You can find them gently used for 250. Still not cheap, but I've saved enough on terminal tackle (by not losing rigs on the reef) to make up for the price difference. Good luck whatever you choose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts