Redfish eats trout

Discussion in 'Fish Species and Techniques' started by MrBill, Dec 14, 2006.

1. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I received this picture today. I thought somebody that was interested in bay fishing might find this interesting. The fisherman was using a topwater lure when a spec hit the lure. When bringing in the trout, a big red came up and hit the trout. The red was landed with the trout in his mouth.

Attached Files:

2. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

With my luck, as I stood there posing for the picture, a game warden would have putted up and cited me, either for possession of an undersized speck, an oversized red...or with even more luck, both.

3. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Great pic and story!

4. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Here's another view.

Attached Files:

5. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

That picture reminds me of a yellow fin and a marlin....

6. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Those are some pretty cool pics. Never heard of a red eating a trout.. that you were reeling in ..

7. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I really don't bayfish anymore, but I have had this happen to me twice in the past. I've heard of others having the reds eat a small trout while bringing in the small trout. The big reds also love a whole ribbon fish. I've even caught the bull reds while trolling russell lures and rapalas at the end of the jetties. When the bull redfish are spawning around the jetties durning the months of Oct-Jan they would rather eat a big meal than fiddle around with little fish.

Here's one last Picture.

Attached Files:

8. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

Love that white hat he is wearing.... hehe. Mean ol Red!! Had several freshwater instances of double digit bass coming up after a nice size crappie and stealing it off the hook... Its funny how easy they start coming to the boat when theres a larger predator on thier tail...LOL!!!! Nice picture!! I miss the salt! Already picked out a few boats a few nights ago and explained in time, the bass boat will be sold and on offshore boat will be bought- thats of course when we move to our house on the beach...lol.... COME ON LOTTERY!!

9. PiePuncher

PiePuncher Senior Member

Reds will eat anything. I know I shouldnt be saying this but I have caught them on whole kingfish and whole spanish mackeral. The kingfish was about 13-16lbs and the spanish mack was a monster smack. The reds caught on these baits were 44+ inches long. During the run, I bet the reds are out there eating anything that moves. There have been days that I cant keep a line in the water for longer than a 5 count. Oh, at the time I didnt know I couldnt use those fish for bait!!!! ( I had no idea that using kings and smacks was illegal, cough cough)

10. PiePuncher

PiePuncher Senior Member

I bet the guy that caught it thought it was wild when the pull went from nothing to a big slam. Bet he had a good laugh too.

11. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

If the lure was in the trouts mouth did the red hit it from head on? if so how did the hook no pull the trout out, wouldnt the trouts head be sticking out?

12. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

fish eat their prey head first so the fins arent going against the throat when swallowing... the spec's fins could have opened and with the red biting down, it made it impossible for the spec to come back out. Another reason the assist hooks on jigs work so well attached at the top "head" only.

13. aadizzle21

aadizzle21 Junior member

that would be one hell of a way to complete a slam!

14. KeysDH

KeysDH Senior Member

With my luck, as I stood there posing for the picture, a game warden would have putted up and cited me, either for possession of an undersized speck, an oversized red...or with even more luck, both.

LOL

15. entourage

entourage Senior Member

That's a cool picture. I have seen a guy hook a shad and a huge striper 40" or so ate it. Ans also I heard a local have a 18" trout eaten by a 44" striper on a flat and both were landed. The striper that ate the shad wasn't eve hooked only the shad was hooked.

16. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Man What a throwback! I remember that post!

17. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

Happens in Florida a lot.the trout patterns fool reds all the time.

18. philr21

philr21 Senior Member

Reds will eat anything. I know I shouldnt be saying this but I have caught them on whole kingfish and whole spanish mackeral. The kingfish was about 13-16lbs and the spanish mack was a monster smack. The reds caught on these baits were 44+ inches long. During the run, I bet the reds are out there eating anything that moves. There have been days that I cant keep a line in the water for longer than a 5 count. Oh, at the time I didnt know I couldnt use those fish for bait!!!! ( I had no idea that using kings and smacks was illegal, cough cough)

Yep, always a cool story and the pics are quality. I can't believe though in 6 years I'm th only person raising the flag on this post though. I've caught 44 inch redfish. I would like to see the redfish that can eat at 13-16lb kingfish. I can't see it happening with 44 in redfish, I'd have to see pics or video to believe. Even a 44" striper and as large as their mouth is, would have a tough time with a bait that large. 13-16inches... all day long. 3-6lbs, sure. 13-16 lbs?

19. luna sea II

luna sea II Banned

Yep, always a cool story and the pics are quality. I can't believe though in 6 years I'm th only person raising the flag on this post though. I've caught 44 inch redfish. I would like to see the redfish that can eat at 13-16lb kingfish. I can't see it happening with 44 in redfish, I'd have to see pics or video to believe. Even a 44" striper and as large as their mouth is, would have a tough time with a bait that large. 13-16inches... all day long. 3-6lbs, sure. 13-16 lbs?

yeah I'm calling bullshit too...

20. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

ole' Pie puncher could tell some tales, that's for sure!
    I miss the old 360 storytellers; Pie Puncher, Uncle Russ, Gunsmoke.......
    some of the best hunting/fishing stories I've ever read!