RED SNAPPER Still Endangered?

Discussion in 'Reef fish' started by BFTMASTER, Jun 18, 2009.

1. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

I am starting this new thread in order to discuss current regulations vs. actual fish stocks. As I surf the net, I can't help but to notice that people are catching some really nice red snapper, and plenty of them, although they are only keeping the prescribed (2). Seems that you can't help but to catch keeper sized snapper. Many reports of having to leave certain wrecks and places in order to catch other fish, but yet it seems that the Feds want to further tighten the rules or worse yet close seasons. The July issue of Florida Sportsman has a couple small articles on the subject. It seems that the way the Feds estimate the status of the Red Snapper Stock might not represent the actual conditions of the Stock. I am very interested in hearing your opinions. I know that most of you could care less about fishing for Red Snapper, but for me the crazy rules and regs. have put a damper on our family fishing trips.

2. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

I think the government and fisheries policy makers are retarded. Spiny dogfish are on the endanged list, when they are pests that feed on other game fish and have gargantuan populations. I myself working on a party boat 1 summer averaged 600 dogfish per trip (3 trips day). This is just 1 boat, yet the government complains that they are endangered. Same with fluke regulations here in the north east, along with yellow fin tuna.

Feds are crazy along with the hippie scientists that provide them with the information.

3. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Their data is definitely flawed. They said there was more red snapper caught last summer than the year before, even though the season was shorter and way way less people fishing for them with gas at $ 4.00 a gallon. Thge bottom line is we have tree huggers that want all hunting and fishing stopped in high places in Govt and the commercial lobbiest are putting out some serious money to take over the fish population. If you google vision 2020, you will see what I am talking about. All for the comercial guys and 100% catch and release for the rec fishermen.

4. anglerinshore

anglerinshore Member

I went to Apalachicola last month and we had to leave multiple spots due to catching 10-15lb red snapper. We couldn't get to the grouper because no matter what you put in the water and no matter how big of a bait the snapper would eat it. I am part of the Atlanta Saltwater Sportsman's Club and that trip was a club trip. We get local captians to speak to the club before tournaments and Captian Charles spoke on this very subject. He said he has never seen this many snapper in his 40 years of fishing/chartering in that area. Also said his commercial liscence limits him to 240lbs of Red snapper which is almost a joke. Now he does have a small commercial limit, but You could catch that much in a few hours on some of the spots we fished. Many lobbyists and members of the government has all agree that the data used to create the size and number limits is 3-5 years behind whatis really going on. I do agree that the larger commercial companies are wiping out the certian species, but the smaller guys that usually charter boats and commercial fish in the off season got screwed as well. You can ask most locals on the panhandle of florida that have been fishing a long time and they will tell you that 30 years ago they hardley ever saw a red snapper come to the docs and now you can catch keepers in Pensacola Bay.

5. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

Now an Article in the July Saltwater Sportsman, talks about a total bottom fishing closure from N.C. to Key West. Talk about a recession, South Florida would feel that one for sure!!

6. workin

workin Member

Hey,

Take the challenge: try to get a grouper bait to the bottom. Used to we'd try to catch a big snapper by finesse: flouro leader, little hook, etc. Now you catch big snapper on a 12/0 hook with a slab of bonita big as a t-bone steak, 100 lb line, and a weight as big as a bowling ball.

Just wait. The regs are crazy as hell now, and it ain't gonna do nothin' but get worse. The inmates are running the asylum.

F

7. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

What Grabtree and his friends are trying to set up is a method to sell off permits for snapper and ALL other reef fish, that includes amberjack and grouper.

8. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

Wish that Dateline or 60 minutes would do a piece on this story.

9. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

They would work if from the tree hugger side and that means Pew Trust, Crabtree and the CCA.

10. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

during the last recession, people used to hit up the partyboats to fish. Boats were railed because fares were cheap with the low cost in fuel, and lax regulations regarding fish. However now with the stringent regs, high fuel costs which is turn drive up fare costs, it is impossible for people to be able to afford to fish. people used to fish for food and sustinance and to have something on the table. It was a way to enjoy a great sport while providing for the family. Governments should take this into account befor closing down fisheries and taxing the shit out of fuel

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

during the last recession, people used to hit up the partyboats to fish. Boats were railed because fares were cheap with the low cost in fuel, and lax regulations regarding fish. However now with the stringent regs, high fuel costs which is turn drive up fare costs, it is impossible for people to be able to afford to fish. people used to fish for food and sustinance and to have something on the table. It was a way to enjoy a great sport while providing for the family. Governments should take this into account befor closing down fisheries and taxing the shit out of fuel

exactly. its not as obvious in texas bc party boats are nowhere near as popular/successful here as they are up north but all the new rules are really going to screw those businesses. no one wants to pay even $100 if they can only keep 2 red snapper and a handful of others that they may/may not catch.

the party boat business could thrive if the regs were lifted. bottom fishing can be very good here, but the rules suck.

any news on the fluke regs?

12. Van Wildonher

Van Wildonher Member

Just to chime in on this, and I don't live where you all do... but I know for a fact there used to be yellowfin tuna here and there aren't anymore. In 15 years of being on the water I've never seen one so don't just think about yourselves here, it's a big ocean and fish don't just live in one spot.

You guys are complaining about catching fish, I'd gladly trade you a day of than for of a day of TRYING to catch fish here.

I wish they had regulations for fishing here.

13. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

Seems that the Feds sunk Capt. Elliot's...a Freeport TX , mainstay since I was a young boy. If partyboats were $100 when I was a kid, I would have never got the Offshore Fever. It was once a year treat at that, around $30-$45. I feel that hurricanes have reduced the fishing pressure more than any regs.

The Feds. kind of screwed the shrimpers too...

14. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

Van:Climates are changing, fish are moving, places that never had many yellowfin are seeing more and places that traditionally were yellowfin havens are not. I'm not saying that stocks are not over fished, I just think that the way that data is collected for the feds. is not an accurate representation or is perhaps behind several years.

15. lippy

lippy Member

So have the new regs been set in stone yet? I see some saying June 1 2010 - August 15 2010 and still 2 per person. Others say its still up in the air.

16. MikeF

MikeF Senior Member

We catch plenty of Red Snapper here in the Gulf. Some days it seems like that's all we catch. I think the data and the methodology are either flawed or purposely distorted. The same with Goliath Groupers; there's way too many of them out there for them to be endangered.

Over fishing is a serious problem but so is stupidity.

17. Reel Stamas

Reel Stamas Senior Member

Snapper Season in GoM is 6/1 - 7/24 (or maybe 7/23?)... FOR 2010...

18. max drag

max drag Senior Member

I find that this argument is a little odd. I know that many of you have tens of thousands of dollars in fishing equipment, as do I, yet there are arguments saying that the limits are effecting the sustenance of a family. Is that really why we fish? I grew up in Washington (no I'm not a tree hugger) in the 80's. I love salmon and steelhead fishing, but it sucked during this decade. Tighter regs were instituted and now when I return, fishing is great. Same can be applied to the redfish and trout fishery here on the gulf coast. I am not defending the Feds nor the scientists but simply asking if leaving a few more fish in the water is really a bad thing. We have the Alabama Deep Sea Rodeo. I no longer fish it because it is a mass slaughter of fish, most of which end up in a dumpster because they are inedible. I have a big problem with this. I don't think that having the attitude of take all we can now and screw the future generations is healthy. I used to earn a living as a guide and fly shop owner. I had to change my vocation because of the economy. I know this is applicable to many other industries.

19. Astronut

Astronut Senior Member

Friends of mine went out last wednesday and thats all they caught! 12-15 pounders all day long!..No keepers though.

astro..:confused:

20. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Last three day trips I've been on we were running from red snapper. It makes you sick to see flipper eat a 20# sow.

MM,
    Ninety percent of the snapper you haul up fron over 50 feet of water will die vented or not.