360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have 1 high end spinning setup for popping, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be easier to fish on a long range boat with a conventional setup, being as you cannot use the rail with a spinning setup and this is especially a big deal when you are at the front of the boat and the rail is wider than the butt of the rod (meaning the reel has to stay well above rail level).

Any suggestions for rod and reel especially for larger classes of tuna (150-300# or so). I was thinking the new 2 speed avet hx raptor, but not sure if it could cast poppers and other lighter lures well, and I didn't know a good 7.5-9 foot conventional popping rod that could handle 30# of drag.

Thanks for your suggestions.

·
5,457 Posts
The OTI 80lb 7.5 ft conventional can handle 30lbs. As far as reels go, a accurate extreme B2-600 would be my choice

d-a

G

·
I built a custom OTI 7'6" 80# conventional and paired it up with a Pro Gear CS625. Haven't caught anything with it yet but I was able to cast it a bunch on that 36hr Big E a few weeks ago.

I originally had a Trinidad 40N on the rod and it was a perfect match for that rod too.

·
237 Posts
I'm a big fan of conventional tackle over spinning as well. I used a tn40 and a tn50, matched on a 7ft chaos casting rod for tuna up to 150lbs and had an extremely easy time man handling these fish. I tend to stay away from accurate reels, as i have seen many of these high dollar reels fail at the most inopportune moments most recently on the oti 60 hr a couple of weeks ago.

·
586 Posts
I built a custom OTI 7'6" 80# conventional and paired it up with a Pro Gear CS625. Haven't caught anything with it yet but I was able to cast it a bunch on that 36hr Big E a few weeks ago.

I originally had a Trinidad 40N on the rod and it was a perfect match for that rod too.
I should have bought that rod from you Red..LoL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts