360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinion recommendation for a jigging rod for FinNor OS 6500 fishing for grouper/amberjack/tuna . jig weights up to 600n gram. Some people say the OTI 3103-56s will not fit a FinNor?
Rick

·
1,703 Posts
Stray, not trying to hijack your thread but I have the same situation with a Fin Nor OS 9500. I would really like to get the correct answer on whether the G3 fits the Fin or not. Only TackleDirect has this disclaimer on the G3:
**** DPSD size 22 is NOT compatible with: ****
**** Penn, Quantum Cabo, and Finnor spinning reels ****

Im also curious if the OTI popping rods and Tuna Snipers have the same issue.

Some have said they do fit but the seat does not get a good grip on the reel foot. I would not call that a fit. Anyone know for sure?

·
45 Posts
According to the OTI site the Fin Nor will not fit on the G3 rod.

To answer the original question the Trevala is a decent rod for the money. Either the 6'6" 50-100lb or the 5'8" 80-200lb. I have a bunch Trevala's and so far no issues. We landed a 66" SBFT on one in under 15 minutes.

·
3,718 Posts
Stray, not trying to hijack your thread but I have the same situation with a Fin Nor OS 9500. I would really like to get the correct answer on whether the G3 fits the Fin or not. Only TackleDirect has this disclaimer on the G3:
**** DPSD size 22 is NOT compatible with: ****
**** Penn, Quantum Cabo, and Finnor spinning reels ****

Im also curious if the OTI popping rods and Tuna Snipers have the same issue.

Some have said they do fit but the seat does not get a good grip on the reel foot. I would not call that a fit. Anyone know for sure?

I was worried about the same thing. I was going to use the ofs95. I bought a stella instead, but the fin nor did fit.(G3 600g)

Check out this thread:
http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f67/oti-fin-nor-5800/

·
3,718 Posts
Looking for opinion recommendation for a jigging rod for FinNor OS 6500 fishing for grouper/amberjack/tuna . jig weights up to 600n gram. Some people say the OTI 3103-56s will not fit a FinNor?
Rick

I think you'll love the OTI 400g

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
I have a bunch Trevala's and so far no issues. We landed a 66" SBFT on one in under 15 minutes.
I feel you are lucky if you don't have any issue yet.

·
5,457 Posts

I agree.

d-a

·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
According to the OTI site the Fin Nor will not fit on the G3 rod.

To answer the original question the Trevala is a decent rod for the money. Either the 6'6" 50-100lb or the 5'8" 80-200lb. I have a bunch Trevala's and so far no issues. We landed a 66" SBFT on one in under 15 minutes.

I've got the trevalla now. I think its to wimpy (wippy) not enough backbone. But it works.. A fishing buddy bought a casting hopper rod and it seems to have the correct backbone and jigging capabilities.

·
45 Posts

Considering I have had 8 of them and not 1 issue I wouldn't.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
I rarely break any rods as I don't use rod tips much while fighing. I caught several AJ in 50 - 60 lbs range with 100g JM rod in NC two weeks ago.

There are many Trevala rods got broken.
I am afraid some guys who start jigging might get wrong impression that Trevala rods are good rods for 150 - 200 lbs tuna.
The heaviest Trevala rod, XXXH model is just 250g rod. It is general opnion that rods under 300g rods are nor adequate for big tuna though you can land with much lighter rods.
I am selling Trevala rods, but I recommend them for inshore jigging.

·
Site Sponsor
1,444 Posts

I have personally witnessed 5 or 6 completely blowing up on last years 55-60 inch bluefin, never mind this years bigger size class....I would ask how many big bluefin other than the 66 incher mentioned you actually have fought and landed with a trevala, as my experiences are the exact opposite spectrum from yours? They have zero lifting power as well, when the bigger tuners go vertical, be ready for a very prolonged battle unless in very experienced hands.

·
Site Sponsor
3,887 Posts
I have the Trevala XXH 5'8" it is one of my favorite old ground fluking rods :) It is excellent for dead sticking and dragging big lead

Catch em up guys I'm sure you will have a stellar trip!

·
5,457 Posts
d-a,
What rod would you recommend??

It would depend on what your going to be using it for plus how much you can spend.

d-a

1 - 20 of 27 Posts