Recommend a deep drop rod blank

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by deep2eat, Nov 20, 2017.

1. deep2eat

deep2eat New Member

I'm looking to build a straight butt deep drop rod for an electric reel.

Bottom fishing with 50lb braid in 1000'+ of water, groupers, tile fish etc.

Any recommendations for a nice handle/reel seat setup?

2. Rwhite

Rwhite Junior member

I know you said "straight" but I can not recommend anything for that.
    For a curved butt setupt you might want to consider the American Tackle AUB-2sc (about $120) short curved butt/handle, then either a 5-6 or 6-0 blank cut down on the butt end and/or cut some on the tip end to wind up with a blank that is 3 to 3-6 in length. This length should result in a rod length ( curved butt included maybe around 4-6 OAL). The most convienent length is one that you can reach the line by leaning over the gunnel, so length will need some playing with. With a curved butt you will be fighting the fish with the rod remaining in the rod holder at all times. I would look for a 50-80 blank with moderate in action so the rod will flex evenly along it whole length. (more on this later).
    The guides could be heavy duty ringed type or a high quality roller, but with 50 braid there is increased risk of the line jumping out of the roller and going in between the roller and frame, they say Winthrop rollers reduce this but I think I would just use the ringed type. The Aftco heavy duty swivel tops might help the line jumping but again the cost is crazy and still the line could jump, I think. If you go with ring guides I would consider Fuji HB or LRX and an MN top with SC ring on the top. Or another brand with similar design. So with the curved but handle/butt all you will need is the blank and guides. So, not needing a reel seat, fore and butt grips and gimbal the cost of the aluminum butt is actually not bad, I think.
    If this is your first deep drop rod you will probably find out, like I did, that you are best not to use the drag to allow your reel to be left in continuously on mode, but rather use higher drag and use a series of on-off using the momentary switch just enough to load the rod then wait till the tip rises then bump it again to load it. You don't have to do this all the way up, just until the fish blows up to help float it up, usually 50-100 feet off the bottom. This is basically a simulation of standup rod action, with the difference being that the reel does the rod loading and not the actual fish lifting, the rod does that. You are actually just a push button operator.
    So that is what I would do with some explaination so you can better make your own selection.
    On rod action, since the fish is not being lifted by rod action where in "stand up" a fast or ex fast action can help, a more moderate action seems best to me. As to weight class, that gets more complicated. I would look at a 50-80 or 50-100 but when you go cutting to length so that you can reach the line you are moving beyond where I can give good advice.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017

3. deep2eat

deep2eat New Member

yea i already have a bent butt deep drop setup for my boat for fishing out of the rod holders.

I'm going on a pulley ridge trip and they are mandating straight rods only, hence why i'm building a straight rod for deep dropping.....

4. Rwhite

Rwhite Junior member

OK, you didn't say if you will leave it in the rod holder. I think it makes a difference in the rod. Is this going to be a "party boat fishing from a rail?

5. cchris

cchris Senior Member

MFor pulley ridge I think they had some nice local rods in Florida. I hope the local guys can chime in. I never done it but the videos and reviews I watched guys were talking about 7-8’ rods with soft tips.

6. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

I have the tilefish blank we use from UC.
    Calstar has a 800 or 900 we cut to fit your needs.

Those are longer blanks we use for deep dropping.

If your looking for something shorter
    Most XXH blanks could work with unibutt.

Calstar GF in 6’6 or 7’ straight thru build.
    There are lots of good choices

7. Rwhite

Rwhite Junior member

Sorry, I looked at the video and didn't get a clear idea of how you are going to fish an electric reel. I have no experience on a party boat.

8. cchris

cchris Senior Member

FIshing an electric reel like a daiwa tanacom or most electric reels on the market is super easy. Someone can literally show you in 2 minutes how to do it.

9. Snaphappy

Snaphappy Senior Member

That UC Tilefish, how many pounds of lead is that good for? I use a Phenix 809xh and it’s great up to three pounds but if I need four it loads up too much.

10. Tidetraveller

Tidetraveller Senior Member

Depends on how you like to fish. The UC Tilefish was way to stiff for my liking. If you like the Phenix, take a look at the UC CE 800 Wahoo. It’ll handle 4# of lead and imo has a better bend than the UC Tilefish

Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

11. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

its pretty stiff we use 3-4 on it.

the calstar migh be a good choice.

the CE800 united composite was reccommended, they are a cheaper blank than the tilefish, they build out at a very good price.

i just finished a CE800mega. value priced rods

12. Hoogan

Hoogan Junior member

I did not like the Phenix Hybrids, they are the fastest blanks I’ve ever fished, they shut down at about a foot or so. I like the Calstar Grafither 765M for fishing the Tanacom1000 with 50lb. PE and up to 4lbs of lead, although like snaphappy said more than 3 lbs of lead and it loads up more than desired.

Snaphappy likes this.
  13. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

yep. the GF are awesome. we also use the UC. but the value point of the GF is good. as i posted above we use a bunch of the GF for deepdrop